External HD - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

External HD

Would I be wrong in assuming you can tether an external HD (such as IOmega) to the Chromebook?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 08:44 PM

I believe that you would be able to do that. It has a file manager so I don't see why that wouldn't work.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 01:41 PM

I wanted to ask this question before, good thing you brought it up.

I'm hearing that to access the files through the chromebook file manager you have to wait till it's finished reading the whole drive and could take a while, about 20-40 minutes.
So if you do get a external hard drive, getting something with smaller storage will be better. 100-200 GB's shouldn't be too bad. I have a 1 TB Western Digital HD and from what im telling you, i will not be using my 1 TB Hard Drive on the chromebook.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Gadget View Post

I'm hearing that to access the files through the chromebook file manager you have to wait till it's finished reading the whole drive and could take a while, about 20-40 minutes.
So if you do get a external hard drive, getting something with smaller storage will be better. 100-200 GB's shouldn't be too bad. I have a 1 TB Western Digital HD and from what im telling you, i will not be using my 1 TB Hard Drive on the chromebook.
Ouch! Having to waiting 20-40 minutes to read a new drive is ridiculous if it is true. That's enough time to do a low level format of a 500 GB drive.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Gadget View Post

Good thing you brought this up.. I had been thinking about it for sometime now. If what you say is true, then my 320 GB of external HD is rendered almost useless because 20-40 minutes, in computing, is a loooong time.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page