WiFi Conundrum - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-03-2020, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

WiFi Conundrum

Okay, here's the problem:
Got a Samsung Chromebook (I know, that's the first problem, but it was cheap), and an ASUS router. Got the Chromebook hooked up and successfully connected to the router, with NO PROBLEMS. I also have several cellphones, 2 Rokus, a Dell laptop and an i-Pad. Everything works great!

So now I buy a Netgear WiFi extender (6120?), so that my upstairs router can hit my downstairs stuff with a stronger signal. The first part of the set-up requires a WiFi connection to the extender, so I turned it on, checked my router to make sure it saw the extender, and grabbed the Chromebook to access the Netgear software and set up the extender. No matter what I tried, the Chromebook would not connect to the extender. I gave up and grabbed my LG smart phone and tried that - BINGO! Got right in.

Set up the extender (right next to the router), got it configured, and then took the whole thing downstairs to set up. Got the Rokus hooked up, got my wife's phone set up, got her i-Pad set up, got the Dell set up...everything is working, so...

Opened the Chromebook and went to the WiFi set-up. Look! There is my WiFi network and the two extender networks, too (2Gb and 5Gb). I'm on the original WiFi so I switch to the 2Gb link, and the Chromebook can't see it...reverts back to the router. Try the 5GB - same results. Go to one of my Rokus and pick 2G - no problems, 5G - same thing. Switch the i-Pad to 5G - no problems. Same with both phones.

Now the Chromebook can see all 3 nets, but it can't connect to squat, EXCEPT for the router itself. So here I am. Running WPA2-Personal w/AES. Why can''t the Chromebook connect to the extender? Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be sure I thoroughly explained everything.

-= Gary =-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-08-2020, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Angry

Now I see why nobody likes Chromebooks. I thought getting rid of my proprietaryFire tablet and going with Google and (supposedly) full Android compatibility, I'd get a much better set-up.

So far, very few things have worked with this Samsung Chromebook. I download from the Google store - sometimes it installs, sometimes not. Sometimes it opens, sometimes not. I have a houseful of WiFi gadgets, and this piece of crap is the ONLY thing that doesn't work. I'm surprised I even got it to find my network in the first place.

Going either full Android or Surface. Good thing this junk was on sale.

Buh-bye!

-= Gary =-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-13-2020, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Addendum: $75 (OBO) takes this thing. Latest OS - Version 85.0.4183.131 (Official Build) (64-bit). Gotta be a local pick-up. Interested? I live in the Lehigh Valley PA. PM me if interested.

-= Gary =-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page