Over battery life expectantcy - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
CEV

Over battery life expectantcy

So I realize the batteries on these are not user replaceable. I know laptop batteries have issues of possibly only lasting a year, at which time you would need to have it plugged in all the time or replace the battery. Our non-profit is considering implementing these in our group homes. They would be used daily, and without being plugged in. They would be plugging in every night for charging. What we need to know is how long would these units last being used like that? Would the battery be able to hold a charge after a couple of years? After 5 years? I haven't read this figure any where, we're just looking for what the manufactures are expecting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 07:23 PM

I read somewhere that Chromebooks are expected to last 1,000 charge cycles. I'm on my phone right now so I can't confirm this with a link, but I'm pretty sure that's what I read.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
CEV

So if I plug it in every night to charge it, does this mean I could do that 1,000 times, thus 1,000 days and it would last just under 3 years then? And I am correct that the battery is not user replaceable correct? So then around the 3 year mark the whole unit would need to be replaced?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 12:46 AM

Based on all of what I have read online, you are correct (about everything).
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 02:23 AM

...but not necessarily replaced. It would still be functional with the ac adapter.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 11:06 AM

Yes, your other post basically answers your question.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 02:31 PM

Yea it's 1000 charges which is more than enough. 3 years battery life is awesome.

But what about when you run various applications, browser open to a handful of pages with some streaming going on. Just like a smartphone that will kill the charge on the battery faster. Which makes me wonder if the battery life per charge on the Chromebook will go away faster with more things running....

If this is the case you will be charging the Chrome book a lot and that life span will be short, 2 years maybe?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
CEV

The battery lifespan being 2-3 years would be no big deal, provided said battery could be replaced. For the purpose we would be using them for, being tethered to an ac adapter will not work.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 01:08 AM

What keeps the chromebooks from having a comparable battery life to the iPad2?

I like the idea of the chromebook, but it would be much better to have a 12 hour battery. After all, the iPad2 can also function on the cloud.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 06:26 PM

Thumbs down Poor Battery Life

Are we suppose to throw our Chromebook away when the battery dies. I've had mine less than a year and it seems to have died. Do you think they could have posted this somewhere before we purchased them? Also, nothing in the manual stating anything about the battery (that I found). What a rip off.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page