Entertainment - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Entertainment

Movies & music are a big part of my net experience, which is a big reason why I lean toward the Acer with HDMI. But, will I have the same functionality as with my"big box", download and play movies and music- haven't seen a mp3 player, and I would like to be able to access and play Amazon cloud music. Anyone know answers yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Entertainment

tracking....
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 03:04 PM

Whats the question exactly here?

Ideally if you want a larger screen with a lower video out put for the samsung or you could stick with the acer and keep the HDMI output as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

entertainment

I am hoping to use the hdmi, connect to an avr receiver which is connected to a large screen. output music via the same connection for playback.

is there any reason this won't work?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Entertainment

Does anyone know if there is a detailed user manual available for the Acer?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwf2.tao View Post
Movies & music are a big part of my net experience, which is a big reason why I lean toward the Acer with HDMI. But, will I have the same functionality as with my"big box", download and play movies and music- haven't seen a mp3 player, and I would like to be able to access and play Amazon cloud music. Anyone know answers yet?
The Chromebook supports the following media formats: .mp4, .m4v, .m4a, .mp3, .ogv, .ogm, .ogg, .oga, .webm, .wav, although I'm not sure if you can transfer the files from a thumb drive/SD card or if you have to do it some other way. Amazon cloud player SHOULD work (I haven't tested it, but I don't see why I shouldn't), and Netflix isn't supported yet (they're working on it). Also, I'm pretty sure you could listen to your music on your TV through HDMI.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Entertainment

Thks for your input; hoping manuals will be published soon, but assuming as long as HDMI stds are adhered to both audio and video playback will work thru A/V receiver....
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

overall feedback, questions and help

24 hrs out of box and I only have 3 complaints. no cap key, can't make pointer larger on track pad, no skype.. skype csr told me linux version might work, then I realized there are several of those. called acer they said nada, chrome has no connection to linux. so I am using googletalk & imo. gt better, I am comming with an ipad2 using vtok.

so, i'll get used to no cap, but would really like to find a way to enlarge the pointer. Anyone?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 03:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phpeter View Post
The Chromebook supports the following media formats: .mp4, .m4v, .m4a, .mp3, .ogv, .ogm, .ogg, .oga, .webm, .wav, although I'm not sure if you can transfer the files from a thumb drive/SD card or if you have to do it some other way. Amazon cloud player SHOULD work (I haven't tested it, but I don't see why I shouldn't), and Netflix isn't supported yet (they're working on it). Also, I'm pretty sure you could listen to your music on your TV through HDMI.
The chomeos media player is very, very basic. However, if you keep your media on a pc then I can recommend subsonic (subsonic.org) from personal experience. It is a free media streaming server that trancodes formats, supports video, and the web client works really well on the chromebook. It also has android and iPhone apps too.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

thx, will check out, but have to say cloud play thru chrome bettrr than android!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page