Did the Chromebook borrow from Apple's iCloud? - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

Did the Chromebook borrow from Apple's iCloud?

Apparently, iCloud is a service that allows Apple users to have their music, videos and so forth on Apple servers. They can access all this from any iOS service.

Did Google borrow from this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 10:31 AM

No. Chrome OS was announced long before iCloud, and has been under development for years. I believe that Chrome OS was announced and demonstrated back in 2008 or 2009, and iCloud was just announced a few weeks ago.

Last edited by vsteel4; 06-20-2011 at 10:35 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 11:58 AM

Google Docs, Calendar, Picasa have been doing cloud sync for ages (by tech standards). Apple is just trying to catch up. Music is doing the same thing. I've been using Music for two weeks now and love it. Any music I put in my folder gets picked up and uploaded to my music account automatically. It's sent to the cloud where I can listen to them on any device anytime. I've been playing stuff on my iPad over Safari... it's a little buggy but works. Wish I had an android tablet... Music is almost enough to convince me to switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 03:19 PM

In other words, while the Chromebook concept was being developed Apple went ahead to quickly launch the iCloud concept? I am starting to believe that one would need both an Android tablet and Chromebook?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 01:32 PM

My guess is that Google's working to get Music to work on mobile Safari. I've already noticed improvements in just the last week. Played a whole album yesterday without a skip.

Not sure anyone "needs" a tablet and a chromebook.... It's all whatever works.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 02:25 PM

I got google music last week. Took 18 hours to upload. Works and sounds great on my android and windows devices. Don't have apple because I want cutting edge stuff.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

I had initially heard guys complain about Google music but apparently that notion see, to have changed and people are going for the Chromebook as such.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 06:56 PM

As terms as who was first i think apple may have had the idea first with having a centralization of information, data and storage, but google was first to succeed and launch it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 09:38 AM

CEO of Google at the time Schmitt worked at Novell where he worked on Cloud based computing as a CEO there. He loved the idea of a basic window terminal with all the data and applications stored remotely. It was less of a Chrome OS vision and more of a Citrix system.

After going to Google he saw the invention of Chrome and the freeing of bandwidth for home users...with that Chrome OS was born and backed by him HARD. Serg and them where much more in the Android mind set.

There idea of Data in the cloud isn't new but it is the first I have seen it pushed to consumers and it is great. Now if it catches on will have to been seen. All I know is where I live (Orlando) is about to see a ton of this...the City of Orlando is moving there systems to Chromebooks and Citrix for Office. This creates a truly safe environment from a backing up and virus stand point...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 02:16 AM

Apple's iCloud is more of a cloud sync solution, even though they never use "sync" in their descriptions. Just about everything they have involves downloading things to your Mac or iDevice. With Google's approach, you keep most things in the cloud.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page