How long will it take to move to the cloud? - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

How long will it take to move to the cloud?

I am very excited about Google Chromebook, but I wonder one thing. All the experts say the cloud is the next step in technology. So how long is it going to take to get all that software out there to join the cloud?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 02:22 PM

I say give it a year till the "Cloud" hype gets crazy.

The Acer and Samsung Chromebooks are the only devices that we can use at the moment to access the cloud. With more chromebooks, chromebox and anything else related being on the market and more computer products being "cloud" focused will result in everyone going crazy for "cloud"
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 02:49 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome-Guy View Post
The Acer and Samsung Chromebooks are the only devices that we can use at the moment to access the cloud.
I'm on a windows computer at work right now and i'm not having any trouble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 02:55 PM

Probably a year is not such a bad period for a product that is going to take us by storm. Lancer, you mean you are accessing the cloud through a windows computer?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 02:56 PM

It shouldn't take very long, really. The "cloud" just means having copies of things stored online rather than on your computer, so applications just need to add an option to do that. Once the cloud concept gets more popular applications should catch up quickly.

Also, C-G, you can access the cloud from any computer than can connect online. It's not a system-specific thing, which is why it's so cool.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 03:30 PM

I see myself eventually evolving away from my desktop PC to a Chromebook or a Chromebox. It seems clear that the cloud is the way of the future. Going to take a while.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 03:35 PM

I am a little more optimistic. I think that the "cloud" storm will be here by December. I think that some of the confusion is that people do not realize when they are already using the cloud. I think as apps move towards it other companies will jump on the train.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 04:42 PM

Lot's of mainstream stuff is really "the cloud."

What's Facebook if not a great big cloud service. Anyone who likes to access their e-mail on the web instead of a desktop client is using the cloud. Flickr, Shutterfly, Picasa -- all photo services are the cloud. Blog platforms? Cloud. Dropbox? You get the point.

A lot of everyday stuff is already there and people are getting accustomed to it. I'm not sure when we'll see widespread use of high-powered software like ProTools or Final Cut Pro, etc. as cloud-based, but Auto Cad and InDesign are moving to Software as a Service already. It might happen sooner than we think.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkaaay View Post
Probably a year is not such a bad period for a product that is going to take us by storm. Lancer, you mean you are accessing the cloud through a windows computer?
yeah, i was being a bit of a smartass. every computer with an internet connection can access the cloud, chromebooks are just the 1st that are dependent on it.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Lot's of mainstream stuff is really "the cloud."

What's Facebook if not a great big cloud service. Anyone who likes to access their e-mail on the web instead of a desktop client is using the cloud. Flickr, Shutterfly, Picasa -- all photo services are the cloud. Blog platforms? Cloud. Dropbox? You get the point.

A lot of everyday stuff is already there and people are getting accustomed to it. I'm not sure when we'll see widespread use of high-powered software like ProTools or Final Cut Pro, etc. as cloud-based, but Auto Cad and InDesign are moving to Software as a Service already. It might happen sooner than we think.
Yep..if something like Onlive works (HD gaming through streaming) then there isn't anything that can't be stored up in the net...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page