Will the Chromebook appeal to the old aged? - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Will the Chromebook appeal to the old aged?

I am just wondering how the Chromebooks will operate with a whole new concept especially with the idea of internal storage minimized. Do you think the old people will adapt to this technology?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 05:19 PM

If by "old people" you mean the baby boomers that invented the internet, developed the standards underlying the cloud technology, and funded Google and other bleeding edge start-ups; yeah, I think we can adapt.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmtampa View Post
If by "old people" you mean the baby boomers that invented the internet, developed the standards underlying the cloud technology, and funded Google and other bleeding edge start-ups; yeah, I think we can adapt.
Naah - he's talking about my mum who thinks bugs can crawl out of the internet while she's sleeping at night and eat her credit cards

_some_ of you can adapt

What's going to screw with everyone for a while is the choice that used to be 'desktop or laptop' is now 'desktop or laptop or netbook or tablet or chromebook or smartphone or internet-tv'. There are a lot of new types of device out there which is great but it isn't a choice any of us are used to. Working out how to compare these different devices that all have overlapping capabilities is going to take some time and patience.

Last edited by russcasey; 06-22-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmtampa View Post
Haha I heard a similar argument about the term "silver surfers" not long ago.

Notwithstanding, most of them use computers mainly for web-browsing anyway, so I think Chromebook will definitely appeal to them.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 06:49 PM

I think they can adopt as well most people don't use a pc based on heavy application usage anymore, most people use it for the browser and they usually just search everything online as well..
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggie View Post
Haha I heard a similar argument about the term "silver surfers" not long ago.
I like "silver surfers". My son used to call me "snow on the roof programmer".
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 09:32 AM

I think it depends on Internet Connection...For my Parents it is great because they have atleast DSL..my Grands on the other hand like there super cheap dial up..I can't see a chromebook being worth it...Shoot my Grand father uses a 600MHZ iMac I bought for 50 bucks close out from CompUSA when I worked there...It works on Yahoo News and plays solitary. So he is fine
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 04:27 PM

I think looking at both perspectives of 'old people' really helps spice up this conversation. I do not think the Chromebook will be such a hard device to get used to.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page