Increasing local space? - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Dee

Increasing local space?

Is it possible to have more storage in the actual computer on a Chromebook? Or are you required to save everything to the "cloud"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 01:12 PM

You have 16gb of local storage space, which is shared with whatever you put on it and whatever your Chromebook has cached. If that's not enough space, you can use an SD card or USB flash drive. You cannot replace the current hard drive with another.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 03:27 PM

I thought so do but by flash drive do you also mean an external drive as well? I think it would take some of us a bit of time before the whole 'cloud concept' caught up with us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 06:33 PM

Send a message via MSN to modder
External hard drives are supposed to work from what I have read.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 05:26 PM

I think the whole point here is that with time we have to get used to the whole idea of the Chromebook. Saving to the cloud seems like the main way to go.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 05:39 PM
BWR

For those of us not used to cloud storage, it does take a little while to rewire your brain. I'm a heavy user of Google Apps and Zoho CRM, but for the plethora of files that I store on local disks, I have to consciously stop and rethink what I am trying to accomplish. I found Amazon's cloud storage for music a horrible application, but, for the Chromebook, I signed up for Dropbox and it works like a charm...not only as a place to store files, but automatically provide access to them from any computer on which you set to be synced. It's free for up to 2GB of storage.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 09:34 AM

I still haven't tried drop box, but I have created a pretty organized list of folders on Google Docs. I think one reason I wasn't saving files there is because I didn't have it organized.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 12:49 PM

Send a message via MSN to modder
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWR View Post
For those of us not used to cloud storage, it does take a little while to rewire your brain. I'm a heavy user of Google Apps and Zoho CRM, but for the plethora of files that I store on local disks, I have to consciously stop and rethink what I am trying to accomplish. I found Amazon's cloud storage for music a horrible application, but, for the Chromebook, I signed up for Dropbox and it works like a charm...not only as a place to store files, but automatically provide access to them from any computer on which you set to be synced. It's free for up to 2GB of storage.
I'm not going to lie, I have been consciously storing everything in different cloud solutions to see which ones I liked the most. So far I really like PennyBackup!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 01:56 PM
BWR

I have not tried other cloud storage services. I ended up with DropBox because I installed an application on the Chromebook that used the DropBox APIs to store its data...and that was the only option. Fortunately I liked it.

Unfortunately, if a lot of application developers do that with their favorite storage vendor, we end up with a mess of data stored all over the Internet.

Last edited by BWR; 07-12-2011 at 01:58 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page