For non owners of the Google Chromebook - Page 2 - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock View Post
I know, when you said something about actually getting your Chromebook I had to double take. I was like, how does that guy know so much if he doesn't have one!

I am here to learn about the Chromebook and just jabber on about it since my friends are all sick of hearing about it. So no, it doesn't bother me.
LOL
I did read *a lot* about these things before I decided to buy, as my efficiency at work is influenced by the computer I use and I needed to be sure one was right for me. Most of the facts I gleaned from scouring cr48 reviews and other forums during my own research were questions that were getting posted here so I was happy to help out and respond - despite feeling like a bit of a fraud!

Now I've got one, I'm happy to report that it has met all of my expectations, however some of the web apps have let me down a little bit. Imo.im doesn't seem to work for voice or video calls to skype contacts, and I've found thinVNC to be a bit hit and miss. I'm sure both problems are solvable in time with either fixes or alternatives.

Although I'm enthusiastic about my new CB I'm keen to avoid becoming a 'fanboi' who recommends them blindly. If you spend more time watching the web than interacting with it then you need a tablet. If you really can't live without local apps then you need a laptop. I think it is important to make these things clear so that nobody buys a new CB with unrealistic expectations. I think being honest about your concerns and sharing what answers you find are essential to this forum, and they are a way everyone can contribute.

There are quite a few 'would you recommend a chromebook to a student/boss/farmer/assassin/candlestick maker" threads and it is important to ask the right questions before jumping in with a "YEAH THEY ARE AWESOME DO IT" response. I think forums like this will be where these questions get asked, and it is responsible to provide a measured response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 03:21 PM

Send a message via MSN to modder
Quote:
Originally Posted by russcasey View Post
LOL
I did read *a lot* about these things before I decided to buy, as my efficiency at work is influenced by the computer I use and I needed to be sure one was right for me. Most of the facts I gleaned from scouring cr48 reviews and other forums during my own research were questions that were getting posted here so I was happy to help out and respond - despite feeling like a bit of a fraud!

Now I've got one, I'm happy to report that it has met all of my expectations, however some of the web apps have let me down a little bit. Imo.im doesn't seem to work for voice or video calls to skype contacts, and I've found thinVNC to be a bit hit and miss. I'm sure both problems are solvable in time with either fixes or alternatives.

Although I'm enthusiastic about my new CB I'm keen to avoid becoming a 'fanboi' who recommends them blindly. If you spend more time watching the web than interacting with it then you need a tablet. If you really can't live without local apps then you need a laptop. I think it is important to make these things clear so that nobody buys a new CB with unrealistic expectations. I think being honest about your concerns and sharing what answers you find are essential to this forum, and they are a way everyone can contribute.

There are quite a few 'would you recommend a chromebook to a student/boss/farmer/assassin/candlestick maker" threads and it is important to ask the right questions before jumping in with a "YEAH THEY ARE AWESOME DO IT" response. I think forums like this will be where these questions get asked, and it is responsible to provide a measured response.
Can't add much to that other than, exactly.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by modder View Post
Can't add much to that other than, exactly.
*blushes*

Has your prize arrived yet modder?

Congrats, btw

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page