Chromebook battery life; Samsung vs Acer - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Chromebook battery life; Samsung vs Acer

While I don't have a Chromebook yet, I have two netbooks. One is an Acer, and the other is ASUS. I noticed that the ASUS battery lasts about 6-7 hours, while the Acer's life runs 12+. Do you think the same situation will occur with Chromebooks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

My experience with the Samsung Series 5 is completely in line with the stated spec - 8 hours of use. Acer are quoting 6 hours for their CB, and I doubt they would promote that figure if the real world experience is 12.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 06:24 PM

Samsung battery life is good, except when in sleep mode. Seems to lose energy very quickly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Thank you! That answered my question nicely. I wonder why sleep mode uses up the charge. Does it have an option to hibernate instead of going into sleep mode?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
Thank you! That answered my question nicely. I wonder why sleep mode uses up the charge. Does it have an option to hibernate instead of going into sleep mode?
I am surprised as I thought the 'sleep mode' was actually supposed to preserve charge? I prefer the Samsung Chromebook, and I also gathered the battery life is longer than its counterpart Acer.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 12:26 PM
BWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferules View Post
Samsung battery life is good, except when in sleep mode. Seems to lose energy very quickly.
My experience has been quite the opposite. If mine consumes any battery at all in sleep mode, I can't detect it. Some time when I am not going to use it for a couple days, I will have to monitor it more closely, but I never power down my Samsung...just close the lid and forget it.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 12:50 AM

Interesting. Wonder if I have a bad apple. Seems to lose power fairly quickly. Definitely need to recharge every 4-8 days even if not using and just in sleep mode.

Let me clarify, it is a great battery life compared to any windows OS but pales compared to iOS products including the iPad which can last nearly a month in sleep mode...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 02:43 PM
BWR

Update to my previous post: I use my CB pretty steadily, so it doesn't sit idle for very long. My impression was that there was very little battery drain while powered on, but in sleep mode. I decided to force myself to take a break from it yesterday and measure the battery drain. The result: In 16 hours of sleep mode, the battery dropped from 100% to 94%. So, it isn't as small a drain as I thought...about 9% a day, if one can reliably extrapolate it out that far. Normally, if I weren't going to use it for more than a day, I would power it off anyway.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWR View Post
Update to my previous post: I use my CB pretty steadily, so it doesn't sit idle for very long. My impression was that there was very little battery drain while powered on, but in sleep mode. I decided to force myself to take a break from it yesterday and measure the battery drain. The result: In 16 hours of sleep mode, the battery dropped from 100% to 94%. So, it isn't as small a drain as I thought...about 9% a day, if one can reliably extrapolate it out that far. Normally, if I weren't going to use it for more than a day, I would power it off anyway.
Wow, is that not amazing. I have an Acer netbook and can swear, I have never seen it go past 6 hours. Yours is a CB worth checking out.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page