Google Chromebook Forums banner

How do I use quotation marks?

50K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  bradftyl000 
#1 ·
Hi. I have the Acer C720 Chromebook. I like it a lot. But I can't figure out how to type quotation marks. I put on the shift key while pressing the quotation marks key, and this the following is what is typed: ¨

That's what is typed.

Has anyone else on this forum had the same problem? If so, what did you do, if anything, to correct this problem. I am not particularly technologically literate, so if you could please put it in layman's terms, I would greatly appreciate it. :)

Thank you.

Glen

#2 ·
You actually produced the opening quotation mark, by holding down the shift key, and then pressing the number 2 key...

Type the word or sentence you want to use, hold down the shift key again and press the number 2 a second time... That will make the closing quotation mark...

See below...

" Take note "

If you want single quote marks, that is available on the same key as the @ symbol, but do NOT hold down the shift key to create it...

Hope that helps... Please let me know how you get on....

Robbie

#3 ·
I'm going to seem like a moron but.....

Thanks for the help! I might seem like a moron, but I tried it and it doesn't work. I must have misunderstood something with your instructions. Could you possibly restate them in another way. I feel pretty dumb, but I don't get it. I tried it, and it didn't work, so I came to the conclusion that I misunderstood something that you wrote.

Glen

#4 ·
Hi Glen... No one is a moron where chromebooks are concerned... It's all poetry in motion and learning curves...

I'll try to explain more simply, but first you need to check if you have, what I would describe as: an English keyboard...

That is a keyboard, where the " (double quote symbol) is located above the figure 2... I say this, because it can be different on standard keyboards around the world and I don't know if this applies to Chromebooks... So make absolutely shure, you can see the double quote symbol, before you start...

So....

When you reach a point that you need to insert a quote at the beginning of a word or sentence, hold down the shift key and tap the double quote key ( " ).... Then enter the required text... When you have completed that, hold down the shift key again and carefully tap the ( " ) key... That should insert the closing double quote symbol...

If that is not working for you, don't dispair, there might be something amiss with your keyboard, which will need investigating - which I'd be happy to do for you...

Please get back to me and tell me how you've got on...

Robbie....

#5 ·
By way of example, this is what I get, if I do as suggested in the previous post...

I am inserting a double quote at the "beginning and end" of three words, by holding down the shift key and pressing the double quote key...

If that is not working for you, please type as instructed and send the result here, so I can see what it has inserted...

Thanks...

Robbie....

#6 ·
Hi Glen...

I have copied and pasted your initial post into a message pad and enlarged the text...

It appears you are entering what I would describe as a double 'full stop' see below... Try and explain which key you are pressing to obtain that character, because there isn't such a key on a standard Chromebook keyboard...

See below....

Hi. I have the Acer C720 Chromebook. I like it a lot. But I can't figure out how to type quotation marks. I put on the shift key while pressing the quotation marks key, and this the following is what is typed: ¨

Please try to tell me which key you are using, to get that result...

Robbie....

#7 ·
Another question for you Glen...

What font are you using??? Does it give the same result if you change fonts???

Robbie....

#8 ·
I don't understand it. All of a sudden, it's working. That's strange. I thank you for your tips, Robbie, but it seems to be working without me even using the tips. Very strange. See?

"I don't know why, but the quotation key seems to be working all of a sudden," Glen said, looking puzzled.

"Gee, that's strange," said Robbie. "And you say you didn't even do anything different?"

"No," Glen replied. "I don't understand it, but it's working all of a sudden."

Glen

#9 · (Edited)
Maybe I inadvertently pressed a key, by accident, which changed the "language" of the key to English. I was born and raised in and still live in Brooklyn, New York, but it was typing as if I were in Paris, France! I've never spoken a word of French, and I don't know ANY French, and I've never been to France! But when I typed the letter "C", there was a cedilla attached to them. And when I typed other letters, there was a diaeresis on top of them!

I don't know ANY French!!!!!

Kinda weird, huh? In other words, it had apparently been in French, but inadvertently changed to English! (which is what I want!)

Glen

#10 ·
Thanks for getting back to me Glen...

Other than what you've described, there's nothing that can explain what was happening... At least what you've suggested sounds and seems logical... Well done for hitting and making the required changes...

Nothing you've suggested surprises me... All these types of machinery can be a maze of mysteries...

Just keep trucking Pal - you've done an amazing job...

Robbie....

#11 ·
Thanks! Except that I have no idea what I did! :) And I'm pretty sure that just like I inadvertently must have accidentally hit a key that changes languages, I'll probably inadvertently do it again and it'll go back to French or some other language! Do you happen to know where the key is that changes language styles or whatever?

Glen

#12 ·

Hi again Glen...

Yes, if you look in the advanced settings section, you'll see a couple of tabs that allow you to change language settings (and type sizes) in various places...

Tried one of those, but not to any length, because I didn't want to mess things up on my own machine... It made no difference on my CB though...

Some time ago, on a computer, I pressed a button and everything changed to Spanish... Had a job to change it back for a while, because I can't speak the language... But I got there in the end...

If you get stuck with anything else Glen, just write about it here and we'll see if we have an answer...

Good luck with the quotes...

Robbie....

#15 · (Edited)
I'm having the same issue. I have a'key instead of an apostrophe and a'key instead of a quotation mark key. I've had this problem previously, and it inexplicably disappeared at some time. Do I simply have to wait for it to go away on its own? I've been looking for a solution to this problem but haven't found anything. I was advised by a friend to go to this tech web abdulsguide, or to put it another way, to find your solution on this web.

#16 ·
I had this problem the first time that I (intentionally) used the English International keyboard. If you want to stay in the international keyboard because you type in multiple languages at once, then to achieve the quotation marks you're looking for you would do the following:

Shift + " (normal quote key) + Space

Et voilà ! 😁

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.