Google Chromebook Forums banner

My Chromebook Issues

21K views 26 replies 5 participants last post by  Robbie Dalziel 
#1 ·
Hiya.

REcently bought an Acer C720 Chromebook and i love it. It has very good battery life, great sound and a very smooth & quick OS.

But now having issues with my torrent downloads.

The downloads have no sound. These are normal .mkv and .mp4 formats. I have tried a different torrent file but when the CB played it it still has no sound despite volume turned up.

What could be the issue? Please advice. Thanks.

#2 ·
Gino...

On/in the Chromebook settings and/or in the music-player settings I've found more than one volume control slider.. You appear to have full volume set up, but the other one is either right down or muted... I've been caught out more than once by that sort of thing.... Sometimes those controls don't always look like the norm... They're just a dot until you put the pointer on that dot and press to move it...

Check it from every angle...

RD....

#4 ·
Hi Gino...

Apart from the control in the main settings, there will always be one in the music player... CB in most cases, has a built in music player and that's the one I use...

I just double click on a music track and it opens a player sheet... There is a volume control speaker at the bottom, the last but one icon on the right... Click on that and the control opens... That's the one that seems to remain hidden... Take a look...

Here's a link to show you roughly where that icon is... Last but one on the right...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwoLIwcGuFieaGRzQW1CSVBRZXc/edit?usp=sharing

#5 ·
I tried doing that and listened to my MP3 files and it plays normally using the small built-in player but again i could not find anything in there.

The Google Support rep (and I) reckon that there might be something in the .mkv file that isn't allowing it to play on the CB due to reasons of hardware, an incompatibility bug, etc.

When i tried playing the file on a Windows laptop it did played with audio.

#6 ·
The Chrome OS supports just some audio formats, but not all. You have to convert your "bad" *g* downloads to a format your Chromebook can play.
Your problem is the used audio codec in mkv files.

You have to grap your Windows PC oder MAC and convert the mkv file. I am using XMediaRecode (Windows) for that and i choose the "Sony->PS3" format, because we have a ps3. The chromebook now will play your new mp4 file. The file will be with less size and you can take more than just one movie with you, while travelling :)

Enjoy your movies.

A hint: I notices, that in the first five minutes, i had about 5 to 7 instances, where the movie stopped for about 10 seconds. After that, the problems went away like they never existed before.

Links:
http://www.chromebookimpraxiseinsatz.de/handling/medien/
https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/183093?hl=en

#7 ·
Volumne control...

Hi Gino..

If you used the inbuilt player and it worked, I would have thought you'd have seen the volume control button on the lower right... You need to click on that little tab, to open the control... See image, with tab circled in red... Click on that to open...

#8 ·
Interesting point of view...

With my previous contribution, I posted an image of the inbuilt music player, that opens when playing a music track...

That was posted using my windows 8.1 machine and showed up... But when I view the same post on my Chromebook, the words are there, but no image...

Question: Is anyone else seeing an image (with a speaker encircled in red) when viewing that post using a CB???

#10 ·
Robbie...likewise.

Can't see the image either.

I still think there is something in the hardware or software or OS itself that is preventing it from "recognising" and playing the audio on my .mkv file. When i connected my SD card to my set-top box the audio and video played perfectly.

It's very time-consuming converting files i'm sorry so i won't do it.

#11 ·
Feedback...

Thanks for the feedback guys... This is all interesting, because although I've put that image in my picture gallery, It won't allow me to place that particular image in a submission... I'm going to try a few other options, to see if I can make it do what I want, or at least find out why it's not allowing inclusion... Being a screenshot, it might not be of an acceptable file type ~ although I've posted screenshots before, without any trouble...

Gino...
A few weeks ago, I downloaded a free program off the internet, that converts a single music file in 3 - 4 seconds... There are a few restrictions as to what types of file it can handle... I've used it to convert WMA files to MP3s for the chromebook... And they work well...
The next time I go to the IT suite, I'll see if I can get a link of some sorts or at least check on what it can or cannot work with... That program might not work on a CB, but if people have a back-up desk top (or something of that nature) they'll be in with a fighting chance...

#12 ·
New image....

Just trying the image again, from the windows 8.1 machine... There was a discrepancy with the first image, now I want to see if what I've done, has rectified that... Fingers crossed....

I hope someone will get back to me on this...

#13 ·
Good point Robbie, I think I'll be holding on to my Windows laptop until Chrome OS gains more ground. In saying that, since the purchase of our CB's, we have rarely used the Windows laptop.
Sorry to go off topic.

#15 ·
Discrepancy....

The discrepancy (if that's the best term to use) with the first picture, was that it was doctored in the Paint programme, then simply saved... That caused it to have a file type named 'Volume' which obviously, the chrome system didn't understand... And yet (surprisingly) it uploaded that image... Strange...

With this latter screenshot, that was doctored in Paint as well, it was saved as a PNG file, which from this end, now appears to work... I can see the image...

That was the case with the inclusion of the first image, which I could see, but no-one else could...

it just needs verifying by other viewers, as to whether or not this latter image can be seen, with its red circle around the loudspeaker icon...

#16 ·
Thanks....

Thanks for the very prompt reply Callin... This is quit baffling...
I'll now try submitting that last image, using the chromebook itself... It'll be a JPEG image this time...

Now, I can see an image and I'm posting... Can it be seen now please????

#18 ·
Strange...

Thanks Callin... Strange...

I'm up against a brick wall with this one... My initial (back of the mind) thoughts are that maybe those images are being blocked by the forum administration for some reason or another... It's the first time that's happened, as far as I'm aware... I might report it as a possible bug, if it happens again...

I will try in a couple of days time, on a different topic, specifically created for a discussion, regarding the posting of images...

RD.....

#20 ·
Hi Callin...

I've looked in my picture gallery, but the only boxes I can see there, are the two that make the gallery public or private... Are there any other boxes to be ticked or un-ticked... Where might they be situated... Settings????????

#21 ·
Changes...

Thanks again Callin...

I've also been in the User Control Panel and made a few changes in there... But I doubt that will alter the lack of images in the topic... But we'll see...

Robbie....

#24 ·
Thanks for the tip-off...

Thanks for the tip-off that you can now see the image, but a bit saddened that you still cannot make any changes to the volume of that being played...

I'm afraid I've no other options I can suggest... As you said some time back, it may be a bug that needs looking into...

I really hope that it's not too long before you get it sorted once and for all...

Regards...

Robbie....

#25 ·
I can see that image OK Callin and it goes nearly full screen, with a single left click...

As can be seen from Gino's post, one of my images has come to life... maybe it was the odd change I made in the settings... Fingers crossed it stays that way...

Cheers...

Robbie....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.