Anyone knows how to dual book Samsung Chromebook? - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Anyone knows how to dual book Samsung Chromebook?

Hi, I am new here. Just wondering have anyone tried to dual boot your Samsung chromebook? I know people using CR-48 managed to dual boot theirs.
The steps including Setting chromebook to programmer mode and flashing BIOS. I can flick the switch and set the chromebook to programmer mode, that's far as I went. Anyone know there is a BIOS version I can flash to dual boot it? Had chromebook for 1 month now, it's good but having some limitations as well, it will be great that it can run other OS as well. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 08:12 AM

Hey there, I followed this tutorial and currently dual boot Ubuntu and ChromeOS

Link: Chromebooks and Chrome OS: Ubuntu 11.04 for the Cr-48 is ready!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by riz_o View Post
Hey there, I followed this tutorial and currently dual boot Ubuntu and ChromeOS

Link: Chromebooks and Chrome OS: Ubuntu 11.04 for the Cr-48 is ready!

Are you using Samsung Series 5 Chromebook? If that worked, I will be dying to try it out. : D

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukurri View Post
Are you using Samsung Series 5 Chromebook? If that worked, I will be dying to try it out. : D

Thanks
Yep, I have it running on my Series 5.

You'll have to enable Developer Mode and also, make sure to activate the developer firmware before you try this method by entering:

localhost login: chronos
[email protected] $ sudo bash
localhost chronos # chromeos-firmwareupdate --mode=todev

Once you do that, follow the tutorial and it should work.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 07:37 PM

I am very interested in this as well. I have seen the scripts that allow you to install Ubuntu along side Chrome OS but has anyone been able to wipe out ChromeOS and install something else independently? On the CR48 this requires putting tape over a part of the motherboard to enable write of the BIOS. Then flashing a new Insyde H20 BIOS to which you can then install any operating system you like.

My goal is to put windows 8 on my Samsung Series 5 Chromebook but to this point I've had no luck so if anyone has any ideas please post!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Question, why would you buy a Chromebook to install Windows on it? Why not just get a regular netbook?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 04:29 PM

Question... does the ChromeOS offer capability for everything that you will ever want to do on a computer in the future?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 10:30 AM
Administrator

No it doesn't. That's why I'm asking why would you spend money on a Chromebook and not just invest in a regular Windows netbook.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorito_125 View Post
I am very interested in this as well. I have seen the scripts that allow you to install Ubuntu along side Chrome OS but has anyone been able to wipe out ChromeOS and install something else independently? On the CR48 this requires putting tape over a part of the motherboard to enable write of the BIOS. Then flashing a new Insyde H20 BIOS to which you can then install any operating system you like.

My goal is to put windows 8 on my Samsung Series 5 Chromebook but to this point I've had no luck so if anyone has any ideas please post!

It should be possible to convert a knife into a spoon with minimal engineering, but that doesn't mean it is a smart idea.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 06:23 PM

I have installed ubuntu on my series 5 chromebook, and wanted to try windows now, so has anyone made any progress with windows 7 or 8??

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page