Samsung Chromebook Series 5 pricing - Page 2 - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 01:54 PM

If it sales as well as I expect it to others will get into the market and competition will bring down the price. Look at how many companies are tripping over them selves to get a iPad out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 12:04 AM

Not really liking that price for whats basically a netbook, and if the specs i see are true, does it really need to have a SSD to be good? Granted its just 16gb SSD which can cost from 50 to +300 USD depending on the transfer rate. Also was that spec of the SSD mentioned ?
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 12:07 AM

I think the SSD drive is for a couple things: reduce fans and moving parts, keep it cooler, and therefore, more reliable.

... Kind of seems like they're going after Staples' "EASY" button.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 11:21 AM

Agree with those who think the price is just a bit too high. I don't think it's a crazy price -- these things do pack nice atom processors, etc -- but it'll be a tough choice for a lot of people who will be more comfortable with a less expensive option with a full-fledged OS. I'm hoping to see the price come down by the fall. $350 would be perfect for a WiFi Samsung, in my opinion.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 11:45 AM

Samsung seem to be on the high end of a price range for everything they make! I like the idea of being first in line to have a Chromebook, but agree with those who have said it's a bit steep. Maybe time to make friends with the kind of person who upgrades as soon as a newer version is released?
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 12:57 PM

Personally, I think this is a great deal. People need to realize what you're paying for: An official, optimized Chromebook virtually eliminates all computer headaches. I know that most people I know would love one and will be happy to pay the small price for:
A computer that gets faster with time, not slower.
No additional software to purchase!
Absolutely no anti-virus needed.
Getting directly on the internet.
Extremely secure experience (Verified Boot)
The setup takes minutes, not hours.

I think all of that makes it very worth it.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Samsung to be on the high end of a price range for everything they make!
Yeah but they are worth it. Never had a problem with Samsung personally
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 02:09 PM

the free 100mb per month is great and plenty for emergencies.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Hawkes View Post
Personally, I think this is a great deal. People need to realize what you're paying for: An official, optimized Chromebook virtually eliminates all computer headaches. I know that most people I know would love one and will be happy to pay the small price for:
A computer that gets faster with time, not slower.
No additional software to purchase!
Absolutely no anti-virus needed.
Getting directly on the internet.
Extremely secure experience (Verified Boot)
The setup takes minutes, not hours.

I think all of that makes it very worth it.
Devil's advocate:
I could get a System76 Starling Ubuntu netbook for $385 with same processor and memory (2 gig) but also a 250 gig hard drive (upgradeable to 500gig for an extra $20). I'm not going to have a security problem with Ubuntu and I can run Chrome as an app and get close to the same experience.

Personally, I like the Series 5's size, weight and startup time and would go with it first. (Also like the idea that if I ever left the Series 5 somewhere, it would be a heartbreaking loss, but not one that would result in all my stuff -- docs, pics, etc. -- too.) But the choice between the two is not a no brainer.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 03:23 PM

Me thinks we have finally resorted to comparing and contrasting Segways with Smart cars as our candidates for pulling 3000-pound trailers.

Out.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page