Wait or Don't Wait? - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8
Wait or Don't Wait?

I want a Chromebook, but I am concerned about being an early adopter. Should I wait until they work the bugs out of these things or go for broke?

PS I know some will argue that it will update itself, however the hardware won't.
mikeybruises is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 09:15 PM
Member
 
kobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 49
Get it now. It's not worth the wait!
kobe is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 10:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 58
I'm leaning towards winning 1 of the 3... If that falls through, my back up plan is to wait a month for the next manufacturer to release theirs and see what they do differently.
Magnum is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 02:01 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: London, England
Posts: 24
@mikeybruises
I think the bugs will have been largely worked out due to:
1. 6 months of testing Chrome OS on the CR48
2. Release of Chrome 11 on the two laptops from Samsung and Acer based on 12 beta tests of Chromium--ie Chrome 11 is the stable version of the latest Chromium test. And Google adds new features each time there is a Chromium test--voice activation, etc etc

My opinion: get it now.
modelportfolio2003 is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 10:36 PM
Ben
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 22
It isn't like it is as new as windows was to dos. It is on a mature kernel. Your risks are hardware-side IMHO. I do kind of wonder if someone will make an amd e-series processor version - the onboard graphics and video decoder of that are essentially a radeon 6000. My next machine WILL play fullscreen hulu at 1080p, gdi. Or maybe not.
Ben is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 02:34 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 6
There is no need to wait. Chrome OS will be updated automatically as needed.this will fix any bugs that are found, although I doubt it will have any major bugs.

Get it now.
drumster318 is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 04:10 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5
I agree, don't wait. Given the level of testing and the fact the software is done by Google, the risk of a lemon is minimal. Go for it.
tgillespie45 is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 05:53 PM
Senior Member
 
fred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 104
I say get it now. We as the consumer have to love and trust the products we love. Only with demand will they keep getting bigger and better. If we want to help make the Google Chromebook the best it can be, and to be a part of the technology revolution we should all get it now.
fred is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 06:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 100
Why wait? They already did a whole beta test with the CR-48. Thanks to that there have already been a ton of bugs worked out. I WANT to be a part of helping make this successful. If you are one of the first owners you will get a voice in its development.
zora is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 10:14 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 6
If I had the money, I'd pre-order one right away. I still think I'd need a fast full-fledged laptop for video editing, though.
arch is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome