Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums (https://www.chromebookforum.com/forum/)
-   Samsung Series 5 Chromebook 12.1" Forum (https://www.chromebookforum.com/forum/4-samsung-series-5-chromebook-12-1-forum/)
-   -   Who has purchased a Chromebook? (https://www.chromebookforum.com/forum/4-samsung-series-5-chromebook-12-1-forum/423-who-has-purchased-chromebook.html)

DumbUglyDragon 07-02-2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obxvt (Post 4172)
OH BOY! It just got here. Amazon shipped it yesterday and I got it today!!!! Didn't pay for extra fast shipping or anything. It is updating now.......

Lucky! I ordered on the 28th and I've noticed they have been instock the last 2 days, but mine hasn't shipped!

firegeek 07-02-2011 03:37 PM

Received my Titan Silver 3g on the 27th of June and loved it every since. Boot times are awesome, runs cool and I have been using it off and on ever since on one full full charge. I haven't configured the 3g as of yet. Waiting until I return home. Hoping that I can tie it to my existing Verizon account without exposing another credit card.

wfeiereisen 07-02-2011 11:25 PM

ordered Samsung 3G from Amazon on June 11. Received June 27.

jjducky 07-03-2011 02:24 AM

I'm quite happy with my white 3G so far. I ordered a silver WiFi from Amazon on June 25th, and got an availability date of Aug 2nd! I couldn't wait that long so I checked out ebay. Got an unopened white 3G for just a few dollars over Amazon price, but shipping was free so I broke even. I have been able to do everything I did on my Windows OS except watch Netflix, which is coming. I even found a way to have a "desktop" background using the theme generator I found in the app store. My full size mouse/keyboard work fine off the USB port, and I was able to load a few pic for the aforementioned theme generator froma USB drive as well. The only "complaints" I have are both related to the trackpad, and both are probably user and not equipment related. I have found the pad doesnt track well sometimes, which is probably related to the settings I have to tinker with. Also, there is no "right click" that I have been able to find. It works with the mouse, but not the pad. Again, its probably related to inexperience rather than a defect. I do have a poor experience, but its with the Samsung site. I tried to register the Chromebook for the warranty, and on the registration page the Chromebook is not an option. I emailed customer service and they suggested I reload the page after clearing the cache, or try from a different browser. Neither worked. :confused:

wfeiereisen 07-04-2011 10:42 AM

right click

seems to be a tap with two fingers. works pretty well. Samsung must have done it this way so they could avoid actually putting switch circuitry under the southeast corner of the trackpad?

firegeek 07-04-2011 12:46 PM

I'm getting use to the track pad--slowly. Love the "two finger scroll" vs the scroll bar on Samsung NC10. Haven't got the "two finger/right click" down yet. The case doesn't seem up to the norm of Samsung products but the quality is...Love the weight, or lack of...

newrivervalley 07-08-2011 01:36 PM

Received samsung chromebook yesterday. Getting used to it since I haven't had a laptop (yes, it is a laptop) for 5 months due to hard drive failure (3rd time I've had to junk a windows laptop due to hard drive). I've been using a 7in android tablet, and chromebook is 200% better. Light, great screen, plays music and video online and offline, and renders websites beautifully
. Battery life is great and boot up is as advertised. Still looking for networking and file management, but love it so far.

kellyds 07-08-2011 09:35 PM

Got mine today...

Ordered it yesterday (7/7/11) around noon and it showed up today (7/8/11) at the house. Gotta love Amazon's shipping department.

Samsung 5g Black 3g.

I didn't realize that the 100mb of 3g for two years was included. While it's not much data, I'm normally connected via WiFi anyway, so it is probably enough data. Just trying to figure out how to determine how much data I've used.

Trackpad, meh, I normally use a wireless mouse with my laptops. So, I took my USB dongle and put it in the ChomeBook and it worked flawlessly. I haven't decided if I like the trackpad yet or not. It is taking some time to re-train my fingers to press 'into the pad' for a click. It would have been nice if the the trackpad tutorial would have described the two-finger press for a right click. Figured it through fiddling with it though.

It would be perfect if it had Bluetooth; just so I can connect my wireless headset to it. I tried a Bluetooth dongle and it didn't work, I didn't really expect it to work though.

The keyboard has a decent feel to it. The keys give a decent amount of resistance and the keys are spaced nicely.

So, after about 4 hours of using it. I'm happy with it.

Sean

Kiwipop 07-09-2011 06:30 PM

HDMI port?

Hi Guys.

Am I correct in my understanding that an Acer Chromebook has an HDMI port but a Samsung Chromebook does not?
:(That would be a "Dealbreaker" for me.

bmanning81 07-09-2011 10:42 PM

I'm wondering the same! Really interested in seeing how everyone likes theres! Especially with things like Google + out now

bmanning81 07-09-2011 10:42 PM

For those of you that purchased one... do you like it? is the 3G version worth it?

cdmta 07-10-2011 05:00 AM

is there a place on this site that states the prices for 3g data through verizon? they have been changing their pricing lately.

Jason 07-11-2011 11:52 AM

Still get 100MB's for free..and can get one day passes...I think the 3G is a selling point! No contract either.

Hedgeclipper 07-11-2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason (Post 4649)
Still get 100MB's for free..and can get one day passes...I think the 3G is a selling point! No contract either.

It is a great feature of the device, definitely cool for people that don't think they'll use enough of the 3G to warrant a plan, but still want the possibility of 3G as a backup. It does add some price, but overall I think it'd be worth it.

clairmont 07-13-2011 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdlviper (Post 3107)
It will be great to see who actually has purchased (and received) their Chromebook.

Details of where you bought, ship-date, etc. would be cool!

Ordered June 1st from gilt.com (thanks to google for emailing me those details) came in on the 8th. Brought it to verizon that night to try getting it added onto my plan and they were clueless as to what it was and what to do with it. Even worse for them (hilarious for me though) was that i brought it in at one of their busiest times and all the customers were looking at me funny and the chromebook weirdly after i got all excited and my inner geek came majorly out. :D

cloudyone 07-13-2011 09:15 AM

^ I agree. I generally find the people at the Verizon stores clueless at best, or extremely unhelpful at worse. Seems like there is no middle ground, at least in my experience. I prefer to deal with them online whenever possible.

nrweaver 07-15-2011 07:21 PM

I ended up getting a Arctic White Wifi only. I bought one of the rickshaw sleeves for it as well. I purchased it from amazon.

I have a verizon mifi that I use with it and it works pretty well.

Abrader 07-16-2011 05:12 AM

Ordered mine from amazon prime today, should arrive on Monday. Can't wait!

modelportfolio2003 07-16-2011 11:54 AM

By the way, hope you guys are all joining Google + which should be dynamite on the Chromebooks too! I got my invitation today and have started forming my circles.

jtzeyes 07-25-2011 10:29 PM

I am on the fence about the 3G. What about 4G? It will be in my area soon. Should I wait or will this model use the 4G?

modelportfolio2003 07-26-2011 09:42 AM

@jtzeyes. I bought WiFi and 3G in UK but 4G not coming here for a while. But even 3G is not a major factor for me as I expect to use the Chromebooks mainly in WiFi hot spot areas, home, office, coffee shop, etc. If you expect to need 3G or 4G substantially and 4G around corner, you might wait but no Chromebook with 4G yet announced.

modelportfolio2003 08-04-2011 06:43 AM

Samsung Chromebook with 3G arrived and I am delighted with it.

Really becoming my main computer now!

Jason 08-04-2011 07:28 AM

They are pretty amazing. I use mine for around the house and my personal computer at work since our network is very aggressive about blocking content.

samwcook 08-05-2011 11:51 AM

My Chromebook Review---Samsung Series 5:

wooper 08-13-2011 10:38 AM

amazon

I have bought mine from amazon

JahBreaker 09-20-2011 11:26 AM

I won a Samsung Series 5 from Google via a Google Places competition. Was loving it until the kernel panics rendered my unit unusable. Hoping for a quick resolution so I can get back to it.

guidol 02-03-2012 07:47 AM

I did buy my Samsung Series 5 US Chromebook Artic White second-hand from the german ebay-"small ads" - for a good price (I think) :)

swastikg 11-30-2012 06:25 AM

Well yeah my brother gifted me. It is kind a cool and gives amazing user experience. I love it's design, features and simplicity. I am in love with it. I will not hesitate for a moment to recommend it.

papasmurf 12-03-2012 04:14 AM

Got mine from BestBuy, Pacific Northwest, USA around the end of November.

pcpro 12-13-2012 05:38 AM

Samsung Chromebook XE500C21-A03DE Sweden

I just purchased a used XE500C21-A03DE
It was orginally purchased from Amazon I think.

I live in Sweden.

adventurer5 12-16-2012 10:07 AM

Buy from best buy for $200 as amazon is $300!

JCC 01-09-2013 03:05 PM

Got mine at Best Buy open box for $216 on Monday 1/7/2013. Working great so far.

cbuffer 01-09-2013 06:28 PM

Ordered Samsung Chromebook 3 from PC World here in UK after looking at 5 in their local shop. Arrived within three days from their warehouse. Very satisfied with it and my wife, whom I really bought it for, is at last beginning to see the usefulness of computers after finding the wealth of stuff on the BBC site - not least being able to hear missed music programmes. And she'll save hours of laborious texting. Can't understand why people in the States are having so much trouble with Amazon. But then I shan't be buying from them until they stop their tax avoidance practices here.

Ken

frr_185 01-26-2013 07:54 PM

I bought mine around Christmas 2012 because I wanted an inexpensive laptop and the Chromebook intrigued me. I bought it at BestBuy where they had a Google Representative there to answer questions you may have.

They didn't have any in stock so I had to order it. I was told I would have about a 1-2 week wait but actually got an email later the same day that they had been delivered to the store.

I really only use it to surf the web when I am bored. Mainly because I really don't know what to do with it. I haven't converted any of my documents on my Apple Mac to Google docs. About the only thing I really did do was activate my 100GB of free storage and copied all my photos and iTunes libraries onto it.

I guess the real question is is my chromebook a replacement for my Mac or a compliment to it where I can take my chromebook with me and still have access to my Mac documents?

What is the purpose or how should a chromebook be used?

adventurer5 01-28-2013 09:18 AM

I ordered my chromebook on BestBuy and received it 3 days later at local store.

mrterriers2 02-06-2013 02:53 PM

Got mine from Best Buy as a Christmas gift from my son. I think for the internet and drive functions it can't be beat and I could not be more pleased with this gift

Jaka1984 04-18-2013 06:25 AM

guys and owners please help,just won an auction on ebay for the 5 series,where it said open box to try and tested and works fully,now the seller tells me that they dont know the history of it and if anyone signed up with google account and also took the 100gb drive...now please tell me in case the user who used it signed up this can be fixed with powerwash meaning you reset all settings and sign up again from beginning with your account..but what i dont know is what if that person also reedemed the 100gb storage..what happens then,can i still get the 100gb drive after i reset the computer??

also tell me some people say its quite annoying that the browser windows and its content refresh automatically all of the time..is this true,meaning id be on a website and it will refresh the page like every 30 seconds or what??

lonestar 03-23-2014 09:24 PM

Just purchased one from Best Buy as well, the 11.6

Sup folks...

mrterriers2 03-28-2014 07:59 PM

I have had my Samsung 550 since December 2012. It is the greatest gift my son ever gave me. Love it and Chrome.

Robbie Dalziel 03-29-2014 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdlviper (Post 3107)
It will be great to see who actually has purchased (and received) their Chromebook.

Details of where you bought, ship-date, etc. would be cool!

Ordered and paid for mine at Argos... It arrived as promised: in two days