Google Chromebook Forums banner

Who has purchased a Chromebook?

60K views 80 replies 52 participants last post by  Tim-APCR 
#1 ·
It will be great to see who actually has purchased (and received) their Chromebook.

Details of where you bought, ship-date, etc. would be cool!

#6 ·
I pre-ordered mine on Amazon several weeks ago and then canceled after reading in depth review on "this is my next" web site. The "lag" the reviewer described reminded me of my Acer netbook. Total waste of money. However, I read several other reviews indicating how the OS would evolve over time and ended up ordering again (from Amazon). Unit arrived today. Set up was easy. Performance has been snappy so far. Will have to get used to the new keyboard arrangement. Only downside so far is the video playback on the CNET website. Many skipped frames. A bad experience. I also tried BBC, and YouTube and playback there is fine.

I was interested in Chromebook because it will play Flash content (a REAL and MAJOR drawback of Ipad). Will be interested to hear what others have to say.

#7 ·
Placed order for the 3G version with Amazon on the 9th of June expecting it to ship on the published release date of the 15th. I struggled with purchase but unlike many--I love my netbook (Samsung NC10). I liked the idea of fast boot times and the simplicity of everything in the browser. Perfect for most even though the price point may hinder success. I have a powerhouse of a notebook (Sager) for video editing and the like of...But, I often carry my netbook to the fire hall and never plug into the wall for 24 hours if fully charged from the get go. I envisioned my wife browsing email, Facebook, etc. sitting in the easy chair.

Sorry, for the ramble. Just got off the phone with Amazon's customer service. They didn't want to allow much information until I said that I might cancel the order. They then stated that it shows the projected ship date to be on the 25th and delivery on the 27th (Prime). The problem being that I will be out of town for a couple of weeks during that period. Now I'm back to the questions: cancel or change shipping address. Wow, I haven't struggled over a $500 tech purchase in some time. Is it a sign?

#11 ·
I was just looking at the Samsung Chromebook Series 5 on Amazon and according to them all they can ship out at the moment is the Samsung Series 5 3G Chromebook (Arctic White) which arrives within 1 to 2 months.

The following can be pre-ordered from Amazon since it's still not released yet:

- Samsung Series 5 3G Chromebook (Titan Silver)
- Samsung Series 5 Wi-Fi Chromebook (Titan Silver)
- Samsung Series 5 Wi-Fi Chromebook (Arctic White)
- Acer AC700 Chromebook (3G)
- Acer AC700 Chromebook (Wi-Fi)

I would stick with Best Buy, waiting 10 days sounds a lot better than waiting for a ChromeBook that will ship within 1 to 2 months!

BTW, which ChromeBook did you order?

#9 ·
If Amazon has it, I think you should change the order. 10 days is a pretty long wait. But, they say patience is a virtue. The anticipation is the fun part. :) Once you get it, then you have it forever. Thanks, for doing the giveaway for us. If I don't win one then I will have to save some money to buy one.

#13 ·
ChromeBook and Cloud Computing must really be great ideas if there's all this legal fuss about the "chrome" name. Well, I'd still like to buy a ChromeBook but I don't want to get caught in the corporate crossfire just now. I'll keep watching this Forum and the news in general. Maybe this situation will get sorted out in the Fall.

#18 ·
OK, I now have Chromebook envy!!

Thanks for the review.
My Chromebook envy has been brewing for days and then after reading the awesome review stated above, my Chromebook envy became full-on fledged :p I just can't hardly wait to get a brand new Chromebook of my very own and to give my daughter's Compaq (YUCK) laptop back to her!

Please, please, please Mr./Miss Chromebookforum.com contest judges/admins, PICK ME to be 1 of the 3 lucky winners who win a Samsung Series 5 Chromebook ;)

#19 ·
Struggling with the wait. Almost cancelled order, and bought one of the new Samsung tablets. Leaving this Saturday for two weeks and unless I change the shipping destination....I will have to cancel. I'll wait until the middle of the week and make the final decision. I already have a nice sleeve waiting, and really wanted this for my trip. Early adopters pay the price in many ways. But, most of the time the joy out ways the cost.

#21 ·
The only reason I got my Chromebook when I did was because I cancelled my original order (Titan Silver Wi-Fi only Series 5) and forked over the extra $70 for the upgrade. I was also eligible for Amazon's Prime Membership trial, so I signed up and payed another $3 for next day shipping and cancelled the trial as soon as my Chromebook got here.

#22 ·
Bummer!

Last night--late I got an email from Amazon saying that the Samsung Titan Silver 3g would arrive on Monday the 27th. Contrary to the last advice from customer support stating that it would at least be 2-3 weeks. Well, trouble is that I will be in FL for the next two weeks. I tried to change the delivery address and the delivery date jumped to the 18th. Next I change the shipping from 2-day Prime to 1-day and the delivery date changed to the 19th. Went back to original 2-day and it jumped to the 20th. None of this would work for me as I assume it would require a signature. Called customer service and they said this was normal; doesn't make sense to me. Ended up cancelling the order. It just seems that something has been working against me getting this thing from the get go. Maybe I'll just wait to the hopeful second gen or until the price drops a little. Headed to Bestbuy to purchase the new Samsung 10.1 tablet. Didn't really want one but need a geek fix for vacation. Or, maybe I'll just take a breather...

#27 ·
Change my mind. I'm still not ready for a tablet. Not a big Mac fan. Android tablets seem "half-baked" and not enough quality tablet apps. Google has never steered me wrong. Made some good $ on their "IPO" and loved the way they did it on their on... I have a kindle. Love it. Just re-ordered the Samsung 3g titan silver from Amazon. States that it will reach me in FL on the 28th? Carrying my already in hand Rickshaw case. Call me crazy, but I was the same way over thee HTC Droid Incredible and haven't regretted it not once. If nothing else it will be great for my wife to check email, Facebook, etc. And, I believe that all the guys at the fire hall will buy eventually. Because all they do is check email and web browse and it will cut down on my tech support. I'm constantly tweaking or reformatting someone's computer.

#29 ·
Since I haven't tried out the Chromebook yet I'm still trying to figure out the differences between using the Chromebook and using the Chrome web browser. I know you can use a lot of the web apps from the Chrome Web Store in the browser and the Chrombook, but is there really any differences such as exclusives?

#34 ·
I just unpacked my Samsung Series 5. This thing is sexy. That is really the only way that I can describe it. Took a second to figure out how to sync it with my google account, you have to turn on the sync in your home chrome browser. Once I did that everything instantly showed up on my browser. I really enjoy in the track bad and didn't have a problem getting used to the techniques that it requires. Honestly I prefer it to most other track pads that I have used. I do agree that since I already used Chrome browser that made the transition that much better, but even if you are not familiar it won't take long to get adjusted. LOVE IT!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.