Wi-fi vs 3G - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Wi-fi vs 3G

so, I am new to this, but I really like the idea of a fuller machine than a tablet, even though I might get a tablet when the new ones come out...what does it mean to have 3G and to have wi-fi? Wi-fi I can use in my house or some other place where there is a wireless internet connection, right? And 3G requires a data plan (like with my Blackberry) is that right?

Thanks.
Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmjrose View Post
so, I am new to this, but I really like the idea of a fuller machine than a tablet, even though I might get a tablet when the new ones come out...what does it mean to have 3G and to have wi-fi? Wi-fi I can use in my house or some other place where there is a wireless internet connection, right? And 3G requires a data plan (like with my Blackberry) is that right?

Thanks.
Karen
welcome to the forum.

you are right about what 3G and WiFi is.

Which chromebook are you going to get, the 3G(with wifi) or the WiFi only chromebook?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!! I am not as illiterate with this as I thought.

I am not sure what I am going to do. I just probably destroyed my laptop because the dog spilled a glass of water on it. So I am now desktop bound pretty much. So, I need a new computer. I am sort of thinking 3G, but since I have a phone and am seriously considering a tablet (why? I don't know, and I don't have lots of money so that may be a moot point) maybe I don't need 3G. I also have to wait for the Chromebook to be released, but not long...much indecision. Suggestions?
These chromebooks seem like a really good idea, not too big, but with a keyboard, unlike a tablet...???
Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 12:26 PM

The nice thing with the 3G is you get that free 100MB...so even if you don't want to pay a monthly bill..you can still check your email in a pinch. I have used it in the parking lot of my sons game to see if the coach cancelled practice or not....
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 03:48 PM

My house got broken into and the laptop was stolen. I am considering purchasing another one but right I am also desktop bound. If I was to get a Chromebook, it would have to be a Samsung 3G.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 04:43 PM

I would also go for the 3G as it's going to be more possible to get connected when I go out and about. Not all buildings have got wi-fi and I would love to be sitting in the park with my chromebook.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 03:51 PM

At the end of the day it is a 70 Dollar choice...I would say yes because if you use it once it is already worth it...esp in an emergency.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 02:44 PM

i went with the 3G just to have the option if i need it, but i keep it turned off. If i need it's there.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 06:16 PM

Thumbs up

I to was going wifi at first, but the more I thought about it the 3G would come in handy in the few places there isnt wifi. Im sure i would find them all! lol. It is more money up front but you do make it up with the free service in the long run. There is a setting to turn it off so you dont use up the data by accident, and there is also a setting to warn you when you are getting low. If i read correctly, it says there are no charges if you go over your allottment so i suspect they will cut your speed until the end of the cycle. Also, I would go with the Samsung simply because of the bigger screen. Size does matter with that.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 11:26 AM

I was considering getting the 3G version, but then I realized that I'd probably never need to use my laptop somewhere where wifi wasn't available anyway. It'd be nice to have just in case, but--- well, I don't think that "in case" would ever happen. So I think I'm just going to get the wifi-only version.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page