Will the 3G Model be Unlocked? - Page 2 - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 02:37 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy2727 View Post
Yeah, I think that's what I'm going to do. I frequently visit America so even if it never gets 3G support in Canada the 100MB/month for free would be a nice bonus for when I go out of country.
100MB won't last more than a couple days of use. This isn't a smartphone that loads mobile-friendly pages. Each time you load a large web site, you consume 1 - 2MB of data, sometimes more. Verizon does sell $10 all-you-can-eat daily pass for Chromebook 3G, or you can pay $20 for 1G per month, no contract required.
legalalien is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 04:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 229
100MB is good for Mail though..I use it in a pitch and this month I still have 60MB's left...
Jason is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 04:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 36
Bell & Telus are still on CDMA, so it should work ok on these networks.
mellaby is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalalien View Post
100MB won't last more than a couple days of use. This isn't a smartphone that loads mobile-friendly pages. Each time you load a large web site, you consume 1 - 2MB of data, sometimes more. Verizon does sell $10 all-you-can-eat daily pass for Chromebook 3G, or you can pay $20 for 1G per month, no contract required.
It's enough to do casual browsing and access an instant messenger though.

I will be getting my Chromebook on the 26th, so when I get it I'll throw my Fido SIM in it and see what happens. I'll post results.
Randy2727 is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy2727 View Post
It's enough to do casual browsing and access an instant messenger though.

I will be getting my Chromebook on the 26th, so when I get it I'll throw my Fido SIM in it and see what happens. I'll post results.
I don't know about that. I was very careful about not using it, and still ran out of 100MB today, a couple of days short of my first month. Granted, one time I did not notice that it did not switch to Wi-Fi when I was home (rather, it was connected to both, but using 3G ahead of Wi-Fi - big thumbs down) and I started playing some YouTube video. That alone killed like 15MB of it. But the rest was spent on occasional, very quick access to email or news.

Will keep it disabled unless absolutely needed next month.
legalalien is offline  
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 09:42 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3
How are you checking the remaining amount of data on the 100mb plan? I looked at the verizon website, but it wants a cell phone number.

thanks!
Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
100MB is good for Mail though..I use it in a pitch and this month I still have 60MB's left...
kellyds is offline  
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9
Received my Chromebook yesterday. Loving it so far. I put my Fido SIM in it and got no results, but after doing some modifications in developer mode I managed to get it to recognize my SIM. It seems to be functional but it thinks that it's roaming so I'm going to call Fido before I use any data instead of risking $30/MB. If anybody needs the instructions to fully unlock the modem I can post them or send them to you via private message. I'll post after calling Fido and confirming whether or not it will work.
Randy2727 is offline  
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 09:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyds View Post
How are you checking the remaining amount of data on the 100mb plan? I looked at the verizon website, but it wants a cell phone number.

thanks!
Sean
It tells you right in the status WiFi bar...just click the radio, turn on your Mobile Data. Once it is up (30 secs or so) then it will tell you how many MB's are remaining out of 100.

EDIT: You have to create your account through the wizard on your Chromebook to start.
Jason is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome