Before I buy... - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Before I buy...

Just wondering if it's possible to maybe put another hard drive in a chrome book, and maybe run windows off of it. I want to get a chromebook since they are pretty low on cost and I like the concept of Chrome OS, but I don't want to leave my Windows apps behind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

You can dual boot a regular laptop with chromeos, and although this would require some skills it must be easier than assembling a chromebook to install a bigger disk.

Or you could just use a remote desktop web app like thinVNC and just leave your windows apps on a desktop that you can access over the web.

Part of the point of chromebooks is that they dont have all that Windows bloat.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 08:44 PM

If you are installing Windows..then you are doing Chrome OS all wrong.. There is no space for HD though. Also the Verified boot isn't a standard BIOS...It seems to be closer to EFI but not...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Oh alright, maybe I'll wait a while then. I'm not ready to give up my windows laptop
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 09:52 AM

If you are considering Chromebooks but don't want to leave your Windows apps behind, you should look at Ericom AccessNow, a pure HTML5 RDP client that enables Chromebook users to connect to any RDP host, including Terminal Server (RDS Session Host), physical desktops or VDI virtual desktops – and run their applications and desktops in a browser.

Ericom‘s AccessNow does not require Java, Flash, Silverlight, ActiveX, or any other underlying technology to be installed on end-user devices – an HTML5 browser is all that is required.

For more info, and to download the beta, visit:
http://www.ericom.com/AccessNow
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 03:37 PM

AccessNow seems like an awesome idea..but at some point they are going to charge and charge a ton I bet since outside of citrix..they are a big player right now with companies moving to Chromebooks..
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
AccessNow seems like an awesome idea..but at some point they are going to charge and charge a ton I bet since outside of citrix..they are a big player right now with companies moving to Chromebooks..
Doubt it. Citrix are at the top of the market, sure - but ThinVNC is free too and does the same thing
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russcasey View Post
Doubt it. Citrix are at the top of the market, sure - but ThinVNC is free too and does the same thing
I thought ThinVNC was down via Flash? I haven't used it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 01:52 AM
Super Moderator

Testing thinVNC is the first thing I'll be doing when my chromebook arrives, but from what I can tell it is just html5. Flash shouldn't be a problem anyway tho.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russcasey View Post
Testing thinVNC is the first thing I'll be doing when my chromebook arrives, but from what I can tell it is just html5. Flash shouldn't be a problem anyway tho.
ThinVNC is awesome! great find. It is fully HTML5 from what I am reading. Tonight I am going to installing on my home desktop and testing it over the next week. I will let you guys know how it works out..I wonder if my steam apps will work well...play some games at work with my CR-48.....so awesome!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page