ssh and X11? - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

ssh and X11?

I was using SSH jcterm in the chrome browser on my macbook. I had been gearing up my amazon ec2 workflow with the chrome browser assuming the the chrome book would function the same when I switched over ... but it doesn't.

I'm posting this from my new Samsung 5 and jcterm no longer works because it's dependent upon java on the base computer. I searched the chrome store and didn't find anything new and useful. I did however find the ctrl-alt-t key combination that brings up a terminal window. There is an "ssh subsystem" but it's pretty rudimentary and has no X11 that I can see.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 11:51 PM
Dee

I'm not familiar with X11. We use ssh with SSH Secure Shell and I think it doesn't have a javascript component, but I am not sure it would be helpful either.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

X11 allows the remote machine (into which you logged with ssh) to send back graphics commands to your machine. So if you have a gui-oriented application on the remote machine you can see the gui on your local machine. It's great for remote program editing, like for example with emacs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 09:36 AM

X11 is a windowing manager system for which all unix / linux is based. X11 it's self doesn't allow RDP but a client running in x does...like VNC Server...Chromebooks are running Xorg and the newer linux kernel...it doesn't run vnc because there isn't a point..If you want to screw around with BASH and install .deb's to see if you can do it..then switch to Dev mode...ctrl - alt - T .. then you can switch to bash the usual way.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page