Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums (https://www.chromebookforum.com/forum/)
-   Samsung Series 5 Chromebook 12.1" Forum (https://www.chromebookforum.com/forum/4-samsung-series-5-chromebook-12-1-forum/)
-   -   samsung series 5 chromebook battery life & replacement battery (https://www.chromebookforum.com/forum/4-samsung-series-5-chromebook-12-1-forum/69-samsung-series-5-chromebook-battery-life-replacement-battery.html)

Chrome-Guy 05-12-2011 06:34 PM

samsung series 5 chromebook battery life & replacement battery

What is the expected battery life from the samsung series 5 lithium polymer battery? I hope the lithium polymer battery wont be a expensive replacement battery when the time comes to replace it. I'm not willing to pay more than $100 for the Samsung series 5 replacement battery when the unit is only around $400.

modder 05-12-2011 06:38 PM

8.5 hours, perfect for a full business day!!!

Chrome-Guy 05-12-2011 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by modder (Post 229)
8.5 hours, perfect for a full business day!!!

Not bad at alll!! 8.5 hours on such a small unit. That should last me from the time i wake up till the time i go to sleep since I will end up powering down the unit or putting it on stand-by when im not using it for long periods of time during my day.

Any idea how much charging cycles the samsung series 5 can go through before the battery is in need of replacing?

chromeME 05-12-2011 06:51 PM

They claim over 1000+ battery cycles on the new Amazon.com product page. They claim its 'advanced battery technology'

Chrome-Guy 05-12-2011 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chromeME (Post 231)
They claim over 1000+ battery cycles on the new Amazon.com product page. They claim its 'advanced battery technology'

Woahh 1000+ battery cycles. So im guessing with everyday use, charging it on the regular i can probably get a good 1 - 1 1/2 years use off the battery, maybe 2 years.

They say 8.5 hours of use, right. But 8.5 hours of use doing what exactly?

If im watching video's & having a bunch of apps open at once I bet it will drain a lot of the battery and in the end i might not get the 8.5 hours of use on one charge cycle.

Mr.Gadget 05-12-2011 07:07 PM

1000+ charging cycles sounds awesome!

What we all should be concerned about is at what stage during the batteries lifetime can we expect a decrease in it's daily use. After the 1000 mark, 8.5 hours of daily use might turn into 7, then 6, 5, 4 and before you know it your unit wont turn on cause the battery is totally shot.

geekyass 05-13-2011 12:28 PM

I guess the charging cycle has a lot to do with the product lifetime, doesn't it? If you charge it once a day over the course of the three years it will end up being 1095 charges.

Robby 05-22-2011 11:37 PM

Samsung's Spec Sheet Claims...

From Samsung's Website on the detailed specs for the 5 series, "Samsung's intelligent battery charging technology enables the battery to keep 80% of its original capacity for up to 1,000 recharges"

80% puts you down around 6.8 hours of battery time. Still not to shabby.

Source:
http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/c...A01US-features

CEV 06-14-2011 10:53 PM

If you plug it in at 50% battery and charge to 100%, will that be half a charge cycle? Trying to figure what a charge cycle is, and how long the battery will last before needing replacing.

cornopean 12-06-2012 09:19 PM

I've had my Chromebook for a year now. Samsung. The battery is rated for 8hrs but is sinking slowly. Probably down to about 4-5 hrs now. Still pretty good but I wonder where I send this thing to get the battery replaced? anyone know? The battery is wired into the system; there is no way to take it out.