It's a bit sad.... - Page 3 - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Here's a little tip....

Don't necessarily rely on the amount of battery life remaining, as stipulated when clicking on the black service bar, down near the clock... I've noticed some weird discrepancies with the information provided at that point...

This morning for instance, when I opened my CB, life-expectancy amounted to 90% or 4.5 Hrs... Ten minutes later (without any charging taking place) the reading stands at: 89% or 12.59 Hrs... Huh... One percent less, against nearly three times as much usage power...

A bit of a 'toss the coin' scenario taking place there if you ask me...

So, wherever you go, make sure the charger goes with you...

We can only survive on this earth, as long as we're able to serve the purpose for which we came here...

Therein lies the 64,000 dollar question: 'What might that be'???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Updating...

Here's a little bit of information, mainly for those who have just moved to the Chromebook scene...

If you click on setting, the options open on the left of the screen... If you've not done so before, click on the 'Help' tab...

When the page opens, note the Google Chrome OS section at the top, then look at the end of that and there should be a tab, that advises you to update your machine...That needs to be done at least once a week, unless it reads : 'Your device is up to date' ~ then you can give it a miss... It was a couple of months before I went to that page and my CB took nearly twenty minutes to do the business, so I was well behind the times... Such now is a matter of a couple ~ if that...

Just a little bit of info that you might find useful...

We can only survive on this earth, as long as we're able to serve the purpose for which we came here...

Last edited by Robbie Dalziel; 08-27-2014 at 09:07 AM.
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 08:05 AM

Location: At the moment we're living with my mother-in-law to enable her to stay at home - in Kent
I only got my CB yesterday and am still finding my way around it. I use a trackball - and have ordered a wireless one. I'm still trying to get my head around things like - no firewall, how do I uninstall a programme? and all the other quirky things I'm used to in Windows. It seems very user friendly though. I expect to be asking lots of questions as I learn - hope no-one minds

Nice to meet you

Ailz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Hello Ailz ~ nice to meet you on this forum...

As far as I'm aware, the chromebook programme is the only programme on the chromebook, therefore there is nothing to delete... You cannot load other supplementary programes on the CB anyway, it is complete in itself: as it is... There are already things on there, that will cover most requirements or events... As far as security goes, Google provides it's own 'in-built' system, automatically updating that on a continual basis... So there's nothing for the user to do... The only thing I can suggest regarding updating, is that you go to settings and when the file opens, look to the left and click on the word 'HELP'... You will then see if your CB is up to date, or you may need to click a button so that such takes effect...

Other than that, you can add a wide variety of apps, for other suplimentary requirements....

Tell me what you might want to do, other than remove programes and I'll try my best to advise you...

I have one full time student who comes for lessons and she is doing remarkably well... At the moment, she is in the process of creating screenshots and putting those pictures into emails... She's also learning all about cloud printing and can use my printer from her own home, to print all her study and research documents.. She then collects them from me the following day....

Keep in touch and remember to let me know what else you would like information about... I'll do my best to help...

Robbie Dalziel...

post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

If anyone is interested, I've been playing around with taking screenshots, then adding text to those images and, following that, turning the image and text into a complete picture in its own right...

It's handy if (for instance) you want to put text into a thought or speech bubble, or a caption beneath a picture, so that it can be inserted into an email, thus making the message a bit more interesting...

If anyone is interested in that process and wants details, please let me know here...

Robbie....

post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Good morning everyone... I'm informed, that there are 77 viewing this section of the forum at the moment, which is outstanding... It's just 8.00am ~ GMT... Hope you all find something of interest in its pages and if there's anything you want to know: just ask and see who responds... There are a number of people here who would be happy to help out....

Have a great day....

Robbie....

post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Just a quick passing thought, for those who are new to the site, or viewing as guests...

When you get to the end of the first section, near the bottom of the page and on the right, there's some little box, where you can move to the next section of pages... I missed that when I first started to look around, in my eagerness to find out how everything worked, so didn't get the full picture for a few days...

Hope you enjoy your current visit....

Robbie....

post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

You can, should there be a need, use either a flash drive (memory stick) or an SD card in your CB to send or remove (save) documentation...

As soon as you plug either device into the respective slot, the files page opens on your screen, with the item inserted showing at the bottom of the list ~ on the left... Just click on that, to access something, or you can click and drag a document to the name to save it thereon, or even play music, stored on that device... BTW ~ Google does offer a reasonable on-board music player as default...

When removing either of those item from the CB, for safety sake, eject the device by putting the pointer on the little single down arrow (to the right of the name) and single-finger clicking on the touch pad... A similar effect, can be generated, by simply clicking the pad with two fingers and selecting the word 'Eject'...

The other option at that stage, is for the item to be formatted... So make sure you select the correct tab... If you don't follow that proceedure, not only will a pop-up tell you it is advisable to do so, you might even loose all the info on the appliance... And we wouldn't want that ~ would we?????

Incidentally, the one and two finger clicking action, may only be effective if the touch-pad 'LIGHT FINGER TAP' facility is disabled in the settings section ~ ticking or un-ticking the appropriate box in the settings will turn that facility on or off as desired....

Have a happy day and lots of fun reading....

Robbie....

post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-14-2014, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

For those who may wish to write letters or make notes, here are some instructions for setting up a default page in Google documents...

See link below...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Hope this works for you...

post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-14-2014, 08:05 PM

Also sad that...

There is no general information or tips and tricks manuals online. I know Chromebooks are somewhat NEW, and are supposed to be "user friendly" but I seems to work very differently from standard Laptops.

I am hoping I can find the answers to my many questions on this forum.

Thanks for keeping things going!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page