It's a bit sad.... - Page 4 - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

You've pinned it on the notice board there mrbmann... I've not heard about any helpful literature either... I've just persevered and found out by trial and error although there must be a multitude of eventualities I've not even thought about, let alone tried and/or tested...

But unlike others, I've retired and have all the time in the world to try this and that until I find an answer ~ or not... I actually bought my CB, because I met someone who wanted some help with that machine... Once I started, I was so impressed with the equipment, I had to keep trying to unravel its quirky secrets... I've enjoyed every minute...

Pop along here from time to time to see if there's anything that might interest you, or even ask questions, which will help keep this thread up and running...

Regards...

Robbie....

We can only survive on this earth, as long as we're able to serve the purpose for which we came here...

Therein lies the £64,000 dollar question: 'What might that be'???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Here's a second attempt to provide some instructions for setting up a new word or letter document...

Setting up a new word document completely from scratch

Click on the Google docs App and when it opens, click on the blue button with the plus sign in it, that’s on the lower right… Wait for the new document to open.

Put you pointer on the name: ‘Untitled Document’ (that is near the top and on the left) and single click the pad to open the ‘change name menu’ ~ change the name and click: ‘OK’...

Then, on the toolbar, click on ‘File’ and go to the ‘page setup’ tab, which is third from the bottom of the list, put your pointer on that and click the touch pad…

In the menu that opens, you will see four boxes, with the distance from the edges of the paper showing… They (the margins, if not already set to such) need to be at 2 or 2.5 centimetres for the best distances, although the user can set them as required...
So, click in the margin boxes, one at a time and change the size to 2 or 2.5 ~ if that’s not already set, then click ‘saved as default’ and ok…

Next, on the toolbar, go to the 100 percent button, click the down arrow and change the figure to 150…

Go a little further right and change the font to that wanted and the font size from whatever to twelve: if that’s not already set. That is the standard size font for letter writing.

At that, you can start to type your notes or letters…

When using Google Docs, there is no ‘save as’ button… That is done, automatically as you type, so when finished, the document can be printed and then put straight to bed: without loss of data...

We can only survive on this earth, as long as we're able to serve the purpose for which we came here...

post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 01:40 PM

Thumbs up Thanks, Robbie!

Excellent information, thank you.

I get on OK with a trackpad, unlike my wife - although like ailz we both prefer a trackball if available. Problem is that they have become so expensive and are bulky to carry around. The tiny ones are fun, but tiring to use and less than arthritis-friendly.

Good tips on scrolling with the trackpad - tapping with those same two fingers gives the all-important right-click-mouse that we use so much.
That two-sizes-fits-all cursor is a pain, is it not?

I'm here to try to find (amongst much else) how to get the C720 to give me shell access; I've found 'crosh' by using Ctrl-Alt-T.
Various pages suggest that one then types 'shell' to find a bash-like environment, but that does not work on mine.

The command 'help_advanced' (suggested in 'help') gives a list of commands that does not include 'shell'

There'll be a way round it, of course. Just got to keep digging...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullybeef View Post
Excellent information, thank you.

I get on OK with a trackpad, unlike my wife - although like ailz we both prefer a trackball if available. Problem is that they have become so expensive and are bulky to carry around. The tiny ones are fun, but tiring to use and less than arthritis-friendly.

Good tips on scrolling with the trackpad - tapping with those same two fingers gives the all-important right-click-mouse that we use so much.
That two-sizes-fits-all cursor is a pain, is it not?

I'm here to try to find (amongst much else) how to get the C720 to give me shell access; I've found 'crosh' by using Ctrl-Alt-T.
Various pages suggest that one then types 'shell' to find a bash-like environment, but that does not work on mine.

The command 'help_advanced' (suggested in 'help') gives a list of commands that does not include 'shell'

There'll be a way round it, of course. Just got to keep digging...
To get into shell, you will first have to put your Chromebook into developer mode, this can be done by holding the Esc and refresh button and then subsequently press the power button (while still holding the other 2 keys), this will bring the Chromebook into developer mode, press ctrl + D to skip the OS verification message and then press enter to continue...

After this has been done you should be able to execute shell commands in crosh.

WARNING: Do note that putting your Chromebook into developer mode wipes all your local SSD data, so make sure to make a backup of that or put it on your Google Drive Cloud.

Check out my freshly made blog about Chromebooks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Dalziel View Post
I think it's a bit sad that people have gone to a great deal of trouble, setting up this amazing forum, yet so many Chromebook owners/users, fail to make good use of, or place regular contributions on: it's pages...

There's a great deal of information that we (as individuals) can share one with the other, that will help us all move forward in our understanding and use of ~ these great little machines...

Even posting a few thoughts and/or ideas about how we use our C books, can make interesting (or even thought provoking) reading...

No doubt there are scores of members who will read this ... How about (at least) a 10% participation following... Yah never know ~ such might even brighten someone's day...
I would think main reason for the inactivity in this forum is the fact that all moderators and administrators of this forum are not actively present nor regulating on this forum anymore, thus the motivation to stick around and display helpful behavior is severely diminished.

Check out my freshly made blog about Chromebooks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 11:14 PM

Thanks for the tip on two-finger scrolling. Didn't know that, and was always going to the scroll bar on the right edge. A bit of a drudge to hold the cursor there steadily.
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Pleased you found that useful Herb... There's all sorts of little things on a CB, that aren't on ordinary computers... It's a matter of finding out what they are and how or why to use them...

I actually bought my CB, to learn how they work, so I could teach one of my students...

Ain't life just a bundle of fun...

Robbie....

post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Dalziel View Post

When I first bought my CB, I religiously closed it down every time I'd finished using it... Naturally, I had to press the start button and sign in every time I used the machine again...

Not so any more... I simply close the lid, put the CB to one side and the next time I lift the screen, it's exactly where I left off at the end of the last session ~ even to the extent of the music that was playing, starting up on the next note to be played: as though the CB had never been switched off... Checking the battery resources, showed exactly the same readings as when the lid was previously closed...
Something might well have been gained following that procedure... Most certainly ~ there was nothing lost...

Just thought that might be of interest to someone, which would make the contribution worth-while...

Have a great day... I'm going to....
Just got my CB. The 1st thing I noticed and love it.
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:29 PM

So is there a way to turn the touch pad off when using the mouse? I favor the mouse better than a touch pad, can never get them to work well.
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglhrt View Post
So is there a way to turn the touch pad off when using the mouse? I favor the mouse better than a touch pad, can never get them to work well.
No, you cannot do that. There is no way to turn it off.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page