Printer for my Acer - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Printer for my Acer

I need a printer for document printing,scanning,copying. I'm not going to print photos etc. From what I understand if you don't use it often you are better off with a laser printer because of ink and head issue with and ink printer. I was looking at an HP 1102w which can be had for $99. Some say it's cloud ready some say they've had issues connecting to Chrome. Anyone using this printer or have a better option ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 03:24 AM
Super Moderator

Not had experience of that particular machine, but I would suggest you consider the costs of a full set of toners, which, in the UK, can cost well over 100...

Also, there is the problem of not being able to install machinery onto a Chromebook... Any printer you obtain, will definitely need to be stand-alone (fully networked) for it to work with a CB...

I use an Epson 610 all in one 'Inkjet' printer, which is programmed into a windows 8.1 machine... I can print to that from any other piece of equipment I have (that being a CB, Samsung tablet, a normal computer and a HP laptop) allowing others (members of a social group) to do the same from any location... The inks for that are very reasonably priced on the internet...

It's a touchy subject, so just tread with caution... Hope that helps in some small way....

Robbie....

We can only survive on this earth, as long as we're able to serve the purpose for which we came here...

Therein lies the 64,000 dollar question: 'What might that be'???
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

I'm a novice when it comes to printers. I had a ink printer[Dell 966 w/ wifi] with my old computer but as far as I know it isn't compatible with my Acer chromebook . My understanding is that if you don't use a printer very often a laser printer will give you less problems:clogging,head cleaning etc. As for laser toners I see black for as little as $20 or am I missing something? I only want it for printing documents etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 02:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezrollin View Post
I'm a novice when it comes to printers. I had a ink printer[Dell 966 w/ wifi] with my old computer but as far as I know it isn't compatible with my Acer chromebook . My understanding is that if you don't use a printer very often a laser printer will give you less problems:clogging,head cleaning etc. As for laser toners I see black for as little as $20 or am I missing something? I only want it for printing documents etc.

G'day to you Ezrollin...

To be honest, I've no experience of using a laser printer with a Chromebook, so I can't help you with that... If, as you say, you only need to print out in black and you can get toner at the price you've suggested, then I imagine it will be cheaper in the long run...

Have you tried using your Dell printer with the CB... What I do know about wireless printing, is that you need to share that printer, via the settings on your computer (if you still have it) and on the CB... It can be done through Google Cloud printing...
I've even managed to print from my CB to an Epson SX200 standard all in one inkjet printer, having shared that equipment with my CB - although the computer needs to be on, when the print request is sent to the printer... It's all a matter of networking (setting up a network) with everything, more than everything being WiFi enabled...

However, don't let me put you off doing what you want to try and achieve, using a laser printer: although I imagine, you will still need to set up a network... I'm a great believer in getting where you want to go by any means available... That, to me, is pure progress...

Please let me know how you get on as you make your way forward...

Robbie....

We can only survive on this earth, as long as we're able to serve the purpose for which we came here...

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 12:52 PM

I have 2 WiFi printers in the house...a Brother B&W laser as well as an Epson regular ink cartridges printer

The Laser lasts a LONG LONG TIME the original "starter" cartridge lasted me for at least 6 months ..and the replacement one which cost about 70 bucks is now close to a year old and still has about half the ink left

The Epson just plain EATS cartridges...PERIOD....

Both printers connect to all 3 of the Chromebooks we have in the house as well as our wifi laptops and desktop computers out iPads iPhones and even a Nexus 7 & Tablet and a android phone my wife uses for work.....

Bob G
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Since posting my earlier comments, I've bought a Samsung laser printer, but sad to say, it didn't prove to be an ideal purchase...

The initial black cartridge soon ran out as did the remainder of the colours and with the normal price of around 120 per set, the machine sat on the shelf for a long time...

Eventually bought a compatible set of toners (48) but again, the black toner ran low after three or four months with very little printing having been done... It's not for me any more and is on offer to a good home FOC...

Further more, I had no trouble printing from any piece of equipment using a network connection as long as the main computer was up and running - in all cases...

That's life....

Robbie....

Last edited by Robbie Dalziel; 09-21-2015 at 01:36 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 06:54 AM

Hi all, if you are looking cheap and great quality inks for your printer then these are the Best ink cartridges and toners for you and your printer. This seller named as Pictech on Amazon is providing cheap and excellent quality cartridges.
Highly recommended and leading seller on amazon.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page