Greetings to Robbie and all others - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Greetings to Robbie and all others

I just got my Acer 11 CB and I am ecstatic. My old windows laptop was running Windows Vista, and I knew that it was due for updating. I heard about Windows 10 coming out, but it couldn't even load this. My desktop can, since it is running Windows 7, but I never really learned how best to use this format.

So I began to contemplate what to do and began searching chromebooks. I had gotten one for my son for Christmas, and he kept complaining what it would NOT do. Of course, he never learned the features and how best to use them.

The past few days, I have been watching Youtube, and checking out the Google free learning forum: Free Google Docs Tutorial at GCFLearnFree This link also has tutorials on many other things pertaining to using the chromebook and google apps. Check it out!

Wow, a wealth of information. So I am sharing this with the readers here in case it is helpful.

Robbie, I read through some of your earlier posts and see that you were a bit disheartened because there was not enough traffic on this board. What a shame, and it could be because this little gizmo works so well. But I know that I will have questions, so I joined to be ready and give any advice I can offer, such as that post above. I hope to check in regularly to see what is going on.

Take care all,
sandy

Last edited by snorkelsandy; 08-07-2015 at 07:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 01:43 AM
Super Moderator

A lovely, enthusiastic post Sandy... Many thanks for same...

Hope you have a fantastic time with your new Chromebook... They're not exactly the bee's knees when it comes to top of the range equipment, but their simplicity and quirkieness, puts them on a level of interest that it difficult to measure and/or replicate...

Have lots of fun and do keep in touch... Give us the low-down: as and when....

Robbie....

We can only survive on this earth, as long as we're able to serve the purpose for which we came here...

Therein lies the 64,000 dollar question: 'What might that be'???
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Robbie,

Right now I am working on a Word file and trying to save it into Docs. I think I have it. To test out how it looks, I am going to my windows computer to open it and print it out. I have heard that the fonts and alignment, sizing might show differently. We will see.

I have tried to connect my wireless printer without success. I have read through several tutorials, but I may have to break down and get a cloud printer. If you have any suggestions on how to connect my traditional printer, let me know.

Some have said I must first go to the windows computer and download the Cloud print app. Then leave on the windows computer and the printer, and come back to the CB. They go to setting and see if the windows printer shows up.

Does this sound right?
sandy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Hello again Sandy...

What make of printer are you using... I use Epson myself, which have all been accessed using the network...

Set up was achieved, by going into the CB setting, then advanced... Scroll down, until you come to printers, then (if I can remember correctly - haven't got my CB with me) click manage and (if the tab shows up) click to show printers and allow access...

When I get back to my flat, I'll check for certain and get back to you here...

At the moment, I'm in the IT room, installing Windows 10 on a couple of computers...

Robbie.....

We can only survive on this earth, as long as we're able to serve the purpose for which we came here...

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Hi again Sandy...

If your printer was initially set up on your computer, you have to go into the computer settings and set up sharing...

Then, with the computer switched on, you should be able to set up the printer on the Chromebook, in the CB advanced settings...

Hope some of this helps....

Robbie....

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

I got the printer working

Hi Robbie,

I am still loving this little chromebook. I finally got the printer to work so all is well. One problem is that I have to go into the next room to make sure that the main computer/printer is "on" before it will recognize it. As I recall, with my other laptop, once I pushed print, the computer/printer would come on even if it was sleeping. Then it would print.

So, it is working, but it makes me wonder how folks do the printing from a distance. Example: if I am away from home, it probably won't work if the computer is in sleep mode, right?

Not a real problem since I won't be doing remote printing, but I found that others were able to do this so I wondered how they accomplish this little feat.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

Wireless printing...

Hello again Sandy

If you've got 'Cloud Printing' set up on your computer, provided it is switched on and not in sleep mode, you should be able to print from any location...

The furthest I've had a connection from is from an East coast location here, some 135 miles away... Formed a friendship with a guy in Denmark, and I'm going to see if he can print from there some time soon...Will let you know how it goes...

Incidently, what make of printer have you got???

They all have lots of different things that they will do...

Do keep in touch please....

Robbie....

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 09:07 AM

Are you still using it Sandy ?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page