Connecting Chromebook To HDTV - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Connecting Chromebook To HDTV

I've been researching the idea of using the Chromebook, primarily as a STB (set-top-box), to replace my current GoogleTV, Logitech Review STB for internet access.

What's wrong with the Revue: it not on the latest GoogleTV Chrome browser or flash update and, with Logitech pulling support from the Revue in a few months, it seems that the 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich update won't happen (maybe, but doubtful).

Also, most of the best Google Play Store apps are not compatible to install on the Revue.

I have no real need to use a computer device for off line purposes, but do want to maximize an internet ease of use and UI aspects as much as possible. The internet/cloud based Chromebook looks to be a perfect solution.

Has anyone had experience with connecting the Acer or Samsung Chromebook to HDTV?

I'd like to use the Chromebook as a STB, hard wired by HDMI to the HDTV, and an ethernet cable to a Comcast "phone modem." Also, a separate, wireless keyboard would be needed.

Apparently, the Samsung 5 550 has a "display port," but it's a mini VGA, not HDMI (I didn't think it possible that a new device would be designed without an HDMI-out port these days). I'm told that this VGA port does carry audio, and there is an adapter available for "VGA to HDMI" for the Samsung "display port," but I don't like the idea.

Further, the specs on the Samsung does mention ethernet, but I'm not clear on this point; whether it has an ethernet outlet and can be hard wired to a modem.

The Acer Chromebook, on the other hand, does come with an HDMI-out port and Bluetooth support, but zero mention of an ethernet outlet. I'd be confident that there would be no audio/video problems with the HDMI port available, and the Bluetooth would be helpful with a the keyboard requirement, but with no ethernet connection, would it have to be on wifi: which maybe okay, provided that everything else about the Acer Chromebook was positive; speed, streaming capability, etc., etc.

Obviously, with the Chromebook, in addition to an upgrade-ready STB device, I'd also be buying a portable laptop. Given all the above, I'd really like this to be doable, and was wondering if anyone had some insight/advice.

Last edited by Travel; 09-13-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 09:42 AM

Acer c7 has hdmi and ethernet port. I am able to mirror movies from epix site to hdtv with hdmi cable.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 08:31 PM

Hi adventurer5 can you tell me where you are with this connection. I purchased Acer c710 in USA and trying to connect to TV in Europe. Not having success only image on tv is Desktop picture even though a movie is playing on the Chromebook.??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 01:05 AM

Have you pressed CNTL and F4 at the same time?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 01:58 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by technovice View Post
Have you pressed CNTL and F4 at the same time?
That worked fine. Thank you.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 11:00 PM

I used a hdmi cord and then bought a Chromecast [walmart / best buy] for wireless operation.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezrollin View Post
I used a hdmi cord and then bought a Chromecast [walmart / best buy] for wireless operation.
I have one of the early Acers C710-2847 MFG Date: 2013/01/20
and I understand I can not use Chromecast with this model. I also do not have any TV sets. I did get excited about Sling TV announced at CES, "unbundled internet TV" that includes ESPN.

I wish Google was also offering on-line internet TV, so we could subscribe to TV stations of our choice, 1, 2, 3 or more TV stations via the internet.

I disconnected my Cable TV 5 years ago, because there was only junk programming and not much else but local stations at the bottom tier, and I refused to keep paying for the, the, the, the, bundled cable scam.

I currently use a VGA cord to connect my 24 inch desktop monitor, enjoying on-line movies, Youtube videos, Video Chats, and power point presentations.

Only change I would like in this arrangement is to toggle the chromebook screen off while watching the larger monitor.

JR
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 04:18 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:

The only stupid question is the one not asked!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 10:04 PM

Was that a not too bright reply ? This chromebook thing is new to me so be a little tolerant .
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Was that a not too bright reply ? This chromebook thing is new to me so be a little tolerant .
I'm new here also. The "smilies" I posted are in agreement to you.

The only stupid question is the one not asked!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page