Google Chromebook Forums banner

Acer - connect chromebook to Mcdonalds WiFi

11K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  sammyalyssa 
#1 ·
Can not connect to WiFi in Mcdonalds location down the street. I chose the Wayport_Access for internet service, but never get the McDonald’s splash page where I should be able select the CONNECT button.

Free Wi-Fi :: McDonalds.com

Is there something I am doing in error. I can connect to my wired router, quite fast, and I can connect to the two unprotected wireless systems of my neighbours. But I can not get on-line at McDonald across the street and down a few hundred feet.

If someone can assist me I would certainly appreciate your time...

JR

#2 ·
I finally created a user for the Chromebook, and today spent several hours using McDonald's wireless Wayport. I did a dslreports/speed test and managed 1.1M/330 that is faster than the local DSL service supplied on our street. Internet local DSL service one street to the east is glass fibre and they are fast, 20 times faster than our street.

Internet from the cable service is faster and a requirement since Google did not choose our city to offer the gigabyte service. We are one of the counties that made an exclusive contract with two companies - Cable, and DSL service is locked tight to our current county politicians, thus we will never have any wired internet competition that would lower the prices dramatically.

I will test several different WiFi locations to see if there are services that appear to be faster that the MCDonalds I tested this morning.

JR

#3 ·
What was the fix?

I recently purchased my chromebook and started setting it up all last night. All was well. I went to McDonald's as I do every morning to catch up on e-mails etc, and ran into the exact same problem. I could never get the splash page to show up to accept terms of service etc.

I consider myself pretty tech savvy, but could not find a work around. What did you finally do to be able to connect?

I appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks for your time.

#4 ·
At least I'm not the only one with this problem. It just sits in limbo and never gets to the red sign in page. Thankfully I have xfinity coverage at the one McDonalds, but quite a few places use Wayport so I hope this isn't a generic issue with access the wayport site to gain access.

I'm fairly tech savvy, but I couldn't figure out why the page wouldn't load. I copied and saved the link that wouldn't load and restarted several times but couldn't get it to connect any which way. My phone and Surface connected no problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.