Wired (not Wi-Fi) internet connection - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Wired (not Wi-Fi) internet connection

I have a wifi only Acer chromebook. I also wanted an option of a wired connection when I go visit my sister who doesn't have a wifi router. I bought the "Trendnet TU2-ET 100" USB to 10/100Mbps Adapter and it works, I am using it now as I type this message. It works right out of the box, you can ignore the included setup DVD. I got it from Amazon for $17.69.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00007IFED
Google's help on this says a wired (USB) connection take priority over wireless and it seems to work that way. Instead of wifi bars in the upper right corner of the screen I have an icon that looks like an Ethernet port.

Cheers...
Russ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 12:15 AM

This is a pretty cool workaround.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 01:08 AM

That's pretty nice! It used to be only PCMCIA cards could offer internet to a computer without a built in ethernet port, so I'm glad to hear there are USB devices that offer that now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 01:17 PM

That's good to know! I was testing my chromebook with the wired tethering app on my phone the other day and it works too. just plug it in and go, but always check with your carrier about their policies on tethering.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 02:18 AM

wifi

looking for a recomendation on a router too; there doesn't seem to be anything on Amazon with consistent reviews- they are my preferred vendor due to shipping to Hawaii. Any input....?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 06:42 PM

I wonder if broadband usb sticks work on Chrome OS as well because I have a virgin mobile 760.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 03:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobe View Post
I wonder if broadband usb sticks work on Chrome OS as well because I have a virgin mobile 760.
I think that might be a 'suck it and see' thing. My HTC Desire has a tethering app that comes as part of the Sense Android add-ons, but this requires a special driver on Windows and doesn't work at all on the Chromebook.

I guess anything that announces itself as a generic USB network adapter should work, but anything that would require a driver to be installed won't. It would be interesting to hear about people's experiences.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 01:55 PM

That's neat! That'll be handy for when/if you're in a hotel that only gives out free wired internet instead of wifi (it happens, believe me).
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 04:58 PM

Send a message via MSN to modder
I haven't had any specific problems with USB devices yet, but I've read that things seem to be hit or miss for most a lot of them.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 11:18 AM

Great find. I have been thinking about it for when I go on a holiday. It would be utterly pointless to carry my chromebook if I couldn't connect online.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page