Google Chromebook Forums banner

Credit Card Swiping add-on?

20K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  russcasey 
#1 ·
I use a credit card machine for my business. Does this have a similar capability to what is at www.squareup.com? I plan on getting rid of my leased machine and transitioning over. I am paying $62 per month to lease my bank-leased credit card machine - whether I use it or not!! It's ridiculous.

Let me know.
Thx!
- Edie

#2 ·
I don't think there is an app yet for this. You can however manually enter the card numbers, but I could see this being a pain in the but if you get a lot of customers in at once.

I'd estimate there will be a web app that can understand a hardware card reader in about 5-6 months for chrome OS. This will require work on Google's part to make more hardware work with the devices.

So I don't suggest trying to switch over to Chrome OS for card swiping just yet, but I believe it will eventually be possible.

#10 ·
Support for usb devices on chromeos is crap. Keyboards, mice and disks are about your lot, so don't rely on a usb card reader working at all - it would probably need dedicated windows software installing. You might be lucky if the card reader acts like a keyboard, in which case a web form could pick up the details it transmits.

NFC has nothing at all to do with reading credit cards as far as I understand it. NFC is a way you can make a prtment with an android phone instead of using a card.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.