Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums (https://www.chromebookforum.com/forum/)
-   Chromebook for Business Forum (https://www.chromebookforum.com/forum/7-chromebook-business-forum/)
-   -   3 year commitment (https://www.chromebookforum.com/forum/7-chromebook-business-forum/19-3-year-commitment.html)

CB4me 05-11-2011 04:36 PM

3 year commitment

I just read that Google is requiring a 3 year commitment on the hardware.

Quote:

The $28 per user monthly subscription fee will be covering hardware, a web console for multiple users, warranty and replacements, support and hardware auto-updates. Google tells Search Engine Land that there will be a three year subscription required and hardware will be upgraded at the end of the three years, if companies continue the service.
That is a pretty long commitment for an unproven product. I would have liked to see a month-to-month commitment, quit at any time. That would make me feel like they really believe in their product.

chromed 05-11-2011 04:42 PM

Chromebooks For Business & Education offer monthly plans that bundle hardware and support, with plans opening up on June 15. The business plan costs $28 per user, per month. The education plan costs $20 per month, per users.

Google says there’s a three year subscription required. Hardware will be upgraded at the end of the three years, if people want to continue on the plans.

If hardware breaks, it’ll get replaced under warranty. But if you decide you want a shiny new Chromebook with perhaps better screens, trackpads or whatever midway through the program, there seems to be no provision for that.

modder 05-11-2011 04:57 PM

I am sure that will come with time, they probably haven't gotten that far since they are just at launch. I suspect a one time small upgrade fee to change hardware mid-term is just a good business call and Google will incorporate it once they launch the first hardware upgrades.

black.pad 05-11-2011 07:35 PM

Yeah they need to work on the subscription plan. As for the 2 plans they off right now its a very good idea. 20$ for students 28$ for business people. But they should offer new hardware upgrades for small fee's and etc.

We will see when they release all products.

modder 05-12-2011 06:03 PM

I guess it will also depend on what other OS maker has launched a competitive product during that initial 3 years as to whether Google has to offer a mid-term upgrade

geekyass 05-13-2011 12:18 PM

Me thinks a 3 year turn around on hardware is ok, considering the good job Google did of making sure Android OS updates always got to as many devices as possible, I think ChromeOS updates will be effective on the launch hardware for the three year duration.

jwr 05-20-2011 03:20 PM

So 1008$ for a Chromebook? I don't think so.

AfroPix 06-07-2011 05:14 PM

I have to agree with jwr, those costs will be adding up pretty quick

sobrien9 06-08-2011 04:01 PM

I agree

Yeah I dont get the whole subscription idea. It does seem like an awful lot for a Chromebook.

SteveGeller 06-08-2011 08:56 PM

Price(s) have to cover the Chromebook, warranty, cloud space, internet packets, cell network, additional software, ... Best if it were all bundled, not a series of surprises. We shall see.