3 year commitment - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

3 year commitment

I just read that Google is requiring a 3 year commitment on the hardware.

Quote:
The $28 per user monthly subscription fee will be covering hardware, a web console for multiple users, warranty and replacements, support and hardware auto-updates. Google tells Search Engine Land that there will be a three year subscription required and hardware will be upgraded at the end of the three years, if companies continue the service.
That is a pretty long commitment for an unproven product. I would have liked to see a month-to-month commitment, quit at any time. That would make me feel like they really believe in their product.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 03:42 PM

Chromebooks For Business & Education offer monthly plans that bundle hardware and support, with plans opening up on June 15. The business plan costs $28 per user, per month. The education plan costs $20 per month, per users.

Google says there’s a three year subscription required. Hardware will be upgraded at the end of the three years, if people want to continue on the plans.

If hardware breaks, it’ll get replaced under warranty. But if you decide you want a shiny new Chromebook with perhaps better screens, trackpads or whatever midway through the program, there seems to be no provision for that.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 03:57 PM

Send a message via MSN to modder
I am sure that will come with time, they probably haven't gotten that far since they are just at launch. I suspect a one time small upgrade fee to change hardware mid-term is just a good business call and Google will incorporate it once they launch the first hardware upgrades.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 06:35 PM

Yeah they need to work on the subscription plan. As for the 2 plans they off right now its a very good idea. 20$ for students 28$ for business people. But they should offer new hardware upgrades for small fee's and etc.

We will see when they release all products.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 05:03 PM

Send a message via MSN to modder
I guess it will also depend on what other OS maker has launched a competitive product during that initial 3 years as to whether Google has to offer a mid-term upgrade

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 11:18 AM

Me thinks a 3 year turn around on hardware is ok, considering the good job Google did of making sure Android OS updates always got to as many devices as possible, I think ChromeOS updates will be effective on the launch hardware for the three year duration.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 02:20 PM
jwr

So 1008$ for a Chromebook? I don't think so.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 04:14 PM

I have to agree with jwr, those costs will be adding up pretty quick
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 03:01 PM

I agree

Yeah I dont get the whole subscription idea. It does seem like an awful lot for a Chromebook.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 07:56 PM

Price(s) have to cover the Chromebook, warranty, cloud space, internet packets, cell network, additional software, ... Best if it were all bundled, not a series of surprises. We shall see.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page