Google Chromebook Forums banner

Any large companies in on Google Chromebook yet?

6K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  AGVirt 
#1 ·
Have there been any notable companies or businesses who have indicated that they might be switching over to using Google Chromebooks yet? With the monthly package and the cloud I can see how this could help businesses.

#6 ·
I think the Chromebook will be very appealing to one huge business - The US Government. They could save a lot of money by using the Chromebook, and also have much better security control than they do with Windows. I look forward to seeing our government make the switch and lead this country into the 21st century!

#7 ·
Personally, if all the features we needed were available on a Chromebook, I'd recommend we move to them for our entire company where I work in IT.

We're currently migrating to Google Apps - which I've been using for my own personal business for quite some time. I see us leveraging more and more of the features in the coming months and years as our workforce becomes more and more familiar with what's available within Google Apps.

Sure, there are some things that we can't do on them yet - but as more and more of our products move to a web interface, I see these as being a possibility for more and more of our employees. In the end, if they put a remote desktop client on these, I can see them using a Chomebook for most of their work, and a virtual machine for anything that's not supported. The only problem is a lot of the larger businesses are only writing their products to run on Internet Explorer. I'm hoping that changes in the near future where these apps are supported on other browsers.

As for the government, I'm not sure it would provide the savings suggested since the change of them outsourcing all their storage to someone else could be an issue. I do see some movement in this direction since the OMB just approved Google Apps - but time will tell.

#10 ·
What about access to Windows Apps?

One of the obstacles to businesses adapting Chromebooks is the issue of access to Windows apps. One solution to this issue is Ericom AccessNow, a pure HTML5 RDP client that enables Chromebook users to connect to any RDP host, including Terminal Server (RDS Session Host), physical desktops or VDI virtual desktops – and run their applications and desktops in a browser.

This means that you can use AccessNow for instant, turnkey web-enablement of most any Windows application. Running entirely within a browser, AccessNow works natively with Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer (with Chrome Frame plug-in), Firefox and any other browser with HTML5 and WebSockets support.

Ericom‘s AccessNow does not require Java, Flash, Silverlight, ActiveX, or any other underlying technology to be installed on end-user devices. In addition, IT staff do not have to manage / maintain separate product versions and updates for multiple clients (end-point operating systems) – an HTML5 browser is all that is required

For more information, and to download the beta of Ericom AccessNow please visit:
http://www.ericom.com/AccessNow

For a video demo:
http://www.ericom.com/AccessNowVideo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.