Security - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Security

I am interested in using this as a Thin Client to access my business network, but wouldnt I have to worry about using Wi-Fi?? It does not appear to have a wired NIC so I would be subject to the security of my Wi-Fi connection even though I access my business network via a secure SSL Portal. Would a USB NIC work? I like the idea, but what do I do if I cant find a secure Wi-Fi connection? I think not having a wired NIC is a major oversight given todays security laws.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 10:45 PM
Ben

I agree wholeheartedly for a love of hardwiring in. IMHO wifi, even secured networks, are not nearly secure enough. WPA2 seems good enough - downright pretty darn good when you have that three-headed dog - but I remember all the claims about WEP right up until it was clearly demonstrated that the FBI couldn't use it to make a network that would stay secure for more than 10 minutes under the attack of a lowly consumer laptop. The fundamentals of the security protocols are quite different, so do not expect quite the same level of a break when and if WPA2 falls.... but I still do not trust wireless without one-time keys.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 05:19 PM

I never trusted wire-less i would always do wired if anything. As for if Chrome can read the NIC is a question that you would have to ask google and how their OS would react to the USb stick and etc, it should considered it's designed to work with all laptops.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page