Google Chromebook Forums banner

A Chromebook for each student

12K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  MINA68 
#1 ·
I like the idea of schools being able to rent a Chromebook on a monthly basis, with the view to providing one for each student. The issue of control over the sites they can access is the major problem in my eyes. I heard that there are ways round it when certain sites are blocked.

#3 ·
It's the admins/owners, who manages the network infrastructure, at the school that decide which site can be accessed. This is important for costs and abuses purposes.

The student, if they can bring the school laptop at home, can use their own internet access to use the full internet.

#4 ·
A school district near me has a Mac laptop for each student, they call it the one to one program. The have many internet restrictions at school, but they admins monitor their online usage at home to. Several students have received detentions/ suspensions for going onto forbidden websites at home. They then collected the laptops at the end of the year, are wiping them clean, and re-issuing them next year. I think chromebooks would be a far better choice, because they are easily interchanged with just using your own log on, and they are far cheaper, many parents have complained about seeing students walking around town with their mac's and just not taking care of them. (which they would then have to pay for them)

#5 ·
that would be a smart idea but then again many act of freedom and privacy law down there. They had something like that in school where student used laptops to learn, but some school teachers are just too oldshcool and will never accept technology and some try way too hard and try to use every last ounce of it.

#6 ·
It depends, I am wondering if google might let the academics mirror their application server? in that case, privacy issue might be solved right?
However, privacy issues should have arised far before while using windows since nobody knew what was actually done by the systems.

But note that the open source status of chromeOS might be discussed. Yes, chromeOS, the client is open source and you can indeed get, modify and build your own one (Build chromeOS image for chromebook or regular computer). But this is useless if the applications executed on the server side are not open source as well (see The chromebook security). Because at the end, we do not know what is done with our data. Does anybody knows more about the web services part ?

#13 ·
We have a daughter and I'm afraid I can't control her internet access, I think this is a feature not to be missed for parents like me. Any application has its own purpose, The problem of controlling the website is not a defect, it simply meets some of the parental control needs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.