Good for Online Courses? - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Good for Online Courses?

I will be attending The University of Phoenix here shortly and want to buy a series 5 chromebook for use of online classes....does anyone have any existing problems with using a chromebook for online classes? such as CD ROM, pages not loading, Docs not sufficiant, etc. I just want to make sure I can use soley this computer for college?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry for not responding specifically to this post, but I've not been to university for years so can't really offer any insightful guidance about your situation. However, I do have some canned advice for anyone considering a CB that I've posted before, and might help you:

Quote:
Count the number of programs you use on a daily basis that are not web-based. You may come up with a list like this:

MS Word
Outlook
Photoshop
For many of the items on your list there will be a web-based equivalent:

MS Word> Google Docs or MS Office online
MS Outlook > Gmail
Photoshop > Pixlr, DevianrART muro, Sketchpad, Picnik or Sumo Paint.
Skype > imo.im (IM only), google talk (us only)

In each case, check out the web applications using Google chrome browser on your regular PC. Decide if it will meet your needs. If you're struggling to find a cloud alternative to an application you use, if you can't find anything with a search of the Chrome web store, post up on here and we'll try to help you . We're all doing the same thing, and the forum is a good place to exchange tips.

Next (and this one is a nice gotcha), check to see if you use any web applications that require Java. Things like: Minecraft, Screenr.com, gotomeeting. These won't work on a chromebook at all. You can spot them as they will prompt you to download/install/upgrade a Java program on your computer.

If there are a few things that you can't find a web equivalent for all is not lost - you can use a 'remote desktop' solution to access another computer from your Chromebook. There are a few solutions to this, my favourite of the moment is ThinVNC [*EDIT* RemoteSpark is better!]

If you're concerned about leaving your home computer on all the time just in case you need it when on the road with your Chromebook, don't worry - you can probably setup 'wake on lan' which will allow you to turn it on remotely. I'm at early stages of playing with this too, but will report my findings when I get it running - although there are plenty of guides for this on the web.
I have to say that if you're living away from home that a CB would be a bit limiting as your only computer. In the same position I'd forego portability and get a paving-slab laptop that can do more, or have a desktop machine/HTPC tucked away somewhere in addition.

Last edited by russcasey; 09-07-2011 at 02:54 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russcasey View Post
If you're concerned about leaving your home computer on all the time just in case you need it when on the road with your Chromebook, don't worry - you can probably setup 'wake on lan' which will allow you to turn it on remotely. I'm at early stages of playing with this too, but will report my findings when I get it running....
Hi, Russ!

Have you yet eliminated the "probably"? I came across this old post in searching the web for a method to use my brand-new Chromebook in the way you mentioned. So far, I've not found a good answer so I'm hoping that you did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 08:42 AM

Oh

This is the good idea to use new Chromebook...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 11:03 PM
Banned

Thank you for your message, look forward to your updated again
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 12:00 PM

Right now there is no issue with chrome book. I am taking on-line classes and i haven't see any problem yet. It is a second hand book. May be the first who use it have faced some problems and sort it up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 02:52 PM

Hello
that's a good idea.Thanks for this post
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 09:31 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to ruellesmith
I know 3 people who use Chromebooks for their online courses. They are generally happy with it and haven't encountered any issues so far. 2 of them are already done with their online classes but still use the Chromebook for other purposes.

We provide the most excellent
in town!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page