Google Chromebook Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still deliberating which model to get and what is the advantage of 3G over wifi really. Why would I care to know? What's the catch?

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
The 3G chromebook is without doubt the most convenient choice, but if you already have a smartphone with a WiFi tether app then you can save a bit on the purchase price and avoid the need for a separate mobile data contract.

You might also upgrade your smartphone to 4g within the chromebook's life, so this cheapskate approach is arguably more futureproof.

The downside of this penny pinching is that you will be draining the smartphone battery. I invested in an extended battery for my HTC Desire to help with this.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think I would rather go for the 3G option if my smartphone's battery life would be in compromise. I hate to drain the battery at any point.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It really depends a lot on where you'd use it, I would think. If you are mostly using it at home around a wifi connection - or at restaurants or hotels that offer wifi - then 3G would be pointless. If you want to use it on the road, then you might want the 3G.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the input. It sounds to me like 3G is virtually pointless because almost everywhere there is Wifi connection now even on the train.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.