Google Chromebook Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for an app that will let me just type to my friends on Skype.

I very rarely do video or voice chat, so that is not at all a concern of mine....

More so, wanting to use text chat (instant messages) with some friends, from the chromebook.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think you really need a Lenovo or Macbook.

On the Chromebook, you can use:
Google Voice (in the US, you can use it to make AND receive calls)
Google Hangout / Chat (voice and video chat)

On a Macbook or Windows, you would have to install the plugin. But on the Chromebook, they are built-in. Just turn on the Chromebook, sign in to your account, make a call / receive a call / start a video or text chat. No setup, no downloads, nothing to install :)

LD calls within US and Canada are free. You can make international LD calls as well. If you're lucky enough to live in the US of A you can port your number over to Google Voice and take advantage of their awesome features.
I'm in the USA, and I use Google Voice... And I have a google voice number... so, I should be all set in this respect. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
The main thing I miss, with there being no Skype on Chrome-book, is the sending of text messages... I despise having to use a tiny keypad, with the brain-banging predetermined text, when a keyboard is right in front of me... And with Skype's 5.5 pence a shot, it certainly would never break the bank...
Robbie D....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts