Google Chromebook Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I just don't really get the whole "Chromebox" thing. First of all, what is it? A really small version of a desktop tower? Secondly, why would you buy one, besides to save space on your desk? What's the benefit of a Chromebox? :confused:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Same concept as the Mac Mini, only running Chrome OS. I'm very interested in finding out more about Chromeboxes. Imagine a decently spec'd desktop machine running Chrome OS...I'm in.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
I think the benefit is more for corporate use. Organisations that would otherwise consider thin clients and use web apps for most of their corporate systems would find them more cost effective than thin clients, as there would be no need for terminal servers.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I agree with the last poster about the chromebox being more suited for corporate use. I had not even considered buying it myself. Perhaps in the near future I will need it, who knows?

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's a desktop version of Chrome OS and it is for people who prefer to have bigger monitor than the Chromebooks.
Looks to me like a great replacement for my PC tower which gets really noisy as the ageing fan inside is working real hard to cool the system off.

·
Registered
76 Posts
it to be a cheap simple solution instead of having a windows tower desktop where as you would still need to buy many things, where as a chromebox its like a mac mini simple and easy to use light and somewhat portable!

·
Registered
229 Posts
I want to get one for my 8 year old son. Just something for basic net and to watch video on...we don't have TV so all our programming is via Internet sites...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bigger monitor size is the key. I'm thinking of getting two ChromeBooks (one for me, one for the wife), plus a ChromeBox for more "serious", sit-down work in our office room, especially family finances (credit union website, Mint, Google Docs, etc.), and the big monitor would help her to be able to better do photo editing and other art-related stuff than possible on a netbook screen.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Do you think that the Chromebox is a more serious device than Chromebooks? Do you think it will have more capabilities and power than the Chromebooks?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do you think that the Chromebox is a more serious device than Chromebooks? Do you think it will have more capabilities and power than the Chromebooks?
Typically, desktops have more capabilities and power per price dollar than notebooks. With other specs constant, notebook users pay a premium for portability, integrated monitor, keyboard, and mouse substitute, and battery.

So I do expect the ChromeBox to have more RAM, a faster chip, or whatnot.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Space

I guess I just don't really get the whole "Chromebox" thing. First of all, what is it? A really small version of a desktop tower? Secondly, why would you buy one, besides to save space on your desk? What's the benefit of a Chromebox? :confused:
For me space is a really important issue. I hate having a desk taken up by a huge box, so a smaller Chromebox would be great. I also hope it would minimize the wire clutter issue my desktop has.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Reading this thread made me convinced that indeed the Chromebox could most probably be suitable for use alongside a Chromebook. However, I do not plan on purchasing it immediately.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not having to have the windows constantly causing problems and not having to pay the outrageous price for Apple products is the reason I have a Chromebook and LOVE IT!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
The nice thing about Chromeboxes is that most of them have a VESA mount, so you can mount it directly to your monitor. Out of the way and easy wire management.

The specs aren't really any better than your average Chromebook. In fact, benchmarks have shown a few Chromebooks are still faster.

But as someone else said, the big thing is the space savings. Sure, you could attach a monitor and keyboard/mouse to your Chromebook, but you'd still have it sitting there on your desk taking up space. God knows I don't have that much free space on my desk as it is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
One other tidbit about Chromboxes: there's a business videoconferencing variant that Dell and ASUS have come out with called Chromebox for Meetings.

They bundle a Logitech HD cam, a Jabra speaker\microphone and a wireless remote\keyboard for $999. It's designed to be easier for smaller businesses to use than something by Cisco or Polycom.

HP also has a Chromebox for Meetings version (Core i7), but they don't have it bundled with anything at the moment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just ordered the ASUS Chromebox from Amazon. I will give it a try for the primary home computer (Old one is noisy and not really used for much.) If it isn't enough for main desktop use, it will become the entertainment machine (on the big TV) and pack it for trips, smaller than a laptop, use it in the hotel room.
It should be good enough for 99% of our stuff at home. (Facebook, flash games, light office tasks, etc) Anything more, we have a couple of laptops for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pistle, can you tell me if, while using a Chromebox with a large screen monitor, you can see not only the screen image, but also the image of the mouse pointer you are using?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts