Google Chromebook Forums banner

Do you see ChromeOS as an answer to your needs, or part of the answer?

• The Chromebook pretty much covers everything for me

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • I'm not ready to throw away my current computer, but I definitely see reasons to get a Chromebook as

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • I don't see why Google is bothering with this...

Votes: 1 4.8%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think a large amount of the debating over ChromeOS seems to stem from the idea that it would be the computing solution for its customers, but it seems to me that Google isn't necessarily trying to corner the netbook/laptop market, rather supplement it. Personal storage has its own benefits in the home, but for those who are out and about the ChromeOS has a lot of advantages.

TL;DR Do you see the ChromeOS as a solution to your computing needs, or just part of the solution?

·
Registered
80 Posts
It is a solution but not in seclusion. I mean the whole idea of cloud services for media and document storage is great. Looking at it as a supplementary makes more sense in my own view.

·
Registered
10 Posts
From My Research I Feel A Replacement From My Dell Mini To The Chromebook Will Be A For Sure Thing , Safety Is Superior To Any Mac Or Windows....

·
Registered
17 Posts
For me it will probably stay just a replacement. To do some serious work (programming, rendering, video editing...) you will always need a powerful alternative to any netbook. At least for the foreseeable future. Still a great device I think. :cool:

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would just supplement it at first. I am not ready to give up on my old way of computing, but I do want to be a part of this new way.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I will eventually replace my computers for Google Chromebooks. Like any new piece of technology I will not jump in to that too fast. Instead I will gradually transition.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd like to replace an older windows laptop with a chromebook - but it needs to be able to run a content management system for web sites called WebYep. And, to date, webkit browsers don't run it correctly ... Iirc chrome is webkit-based ... If not a replacement, then a supplemental mobile system.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think it depends on your situation and what apps are available. Any certain programs you use (like Photoshop) that aren't in the app store, you'll either need to find an "app for that" or stick with a more traditional computer.

However, the cloud is probably what the majority of people need the majority of the time, especially considering gmail and google docs are similar to MS Office (at least at a base level).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is it not possible to install programs onto a chromebook? I mean, I know the whole point is to be faster, but there's still a few things I need to do locally on my harddrive, like edit video.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Since December 20th, the Google Cr-48 has been my primary day-to-day machine. Only when the file manager was in its earliest versions did I ever turn back to my laptop to do anything.

This is the only computer I've ever owned that has shown no signs of degrading performance over time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think it could replace my current PC. Just about everything I would need it for in the working world (writing docs, viewing emails, etc) can be done online or with one of the many apps in the web store.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Since Dec. 20, 2011 the Cr-48 has been my replacement. Here's a list of the things I haven't yet done with the Cr-48: 1) FTP files to a site 2) unzip or zip a file 3) screencast/video 4) Google Earth 5) Google Sketchup 6) XAMMP or LAMP stack a la apachefriends.org 7) directly save downloads, attachments or pdf's to Dropbox or Google Docs.

For my use, none of these have been showstoppers.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If the Chromebook is everything it says it is, I don't see why I would need another computer. Who wants to have to have more than one computer, anyway?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Since Dec. 20, 2011 the Cr-48 has been my replacement. Here's a list of the things I haven't yet done with the Cr-48: 1) FTP files to a site 2) unzip or zip a file 3) screencast/video 4) Google Earth 5) Google Sketchup 6) XAMMP or LAMP stack a la apachefriends.org 7) directly save downloads, attachments or pdf's to Dropbox or Google Docs.

For my use, none of these have been showstoppers.
I'll add an 8th item: 8) unable to upload a music collection from the Cr-48 into Google's Music Beta.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think that as software developers start to focus more and more on webapps that something like this will become a viable solution for everyday use.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would have it be supplemental, especially at the beginning, and maybe for a long while.

I think tech advancement speeds being what they are, if this catches on BIGTIME? The need/demand for all things computing-wise on a Chromebook, will increase (especially for personal activities -- the biz & gov't world being more complex).

If I could do EVERYTHING as a personal user of a Chromebook, that I can do on a standard computer, I -- and I think many others as well -- would DEFINITELY go exclusively with Chromebook.

My opinion, and my vision, such as they are, lol. :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
If what I just read is to then I could only supplement on Google Chrome. I do not own a T.V. you see. Everything I watch, I watch on Netflix, but I just read you can't do that. Hopefully they will figure something out for it though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wonder if there is a chrome option for the ipad2? The ipad has a longer battery life. It would be nice if the Chromebooks had the same battery life, and cost a little less.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Same for me - it's a great supplement, but quite a ways off from being a total replacement. There are just too many apps that I need to perform my job that have to be installed locally, or even worse, require Java.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts