Google Chromebook Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been researching the idea of using the Chromebook, primarily as a STB (set-top-box), to replace my current GoogleTV, Logitech Review STB for internet access.

What's wrong with the Revue: it not on the latest GoogleTV Chrome browser or flash update and, with Logitech pulling support from the Revue in a few months, it seems that the 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich update won't happen (maybe, but doubtful).

Also, most of the best Google Play Store apps are not compatible to install on the Revue.

I have no real need to use a computer device for off line purposes, but do want to maximize an internet ease of use and UI aspects as much as possible. The internet/cloud based Chromebook looks to be a perfect solution.

Has anyone had experience with connecting the Acer or Samsung Chromebook to HDTV?

I'd like to use the Chromebook as a STB, hard wired by HDMI to the HDTV, and an ethernet cable to a Comcast "phone modem." Also, a separate, wireless keyboard would be needed.

Apparently, the Samsung 5 550 has a "display port," but it's a mini VGA, not HDMI (I didn't think it possible that a new device would be designed without an HDMI-out port these days). I'm told that this VGA port does carry audio, and there is an adapter available for "VGA to HDMI" for the Samsung "display port," but I don't like the idea.

Further, the specs on the Samsung does mention ethernet, but I'm not clear on this point; whether it has an ethernet outlet and can be hard wired to a modem.

The Acer Chromebook, on the other hand, does come with an HDMI-out port and Bluetooth support, but zero mention of an ethernet outlet. I'd be confident that there would be no audio/video problems with the HDMI port available, and the Bluetooth would be helpful with a the keyboard requirement, but with no ethernet connection, would it have to be on wifi: which maybe okay, provided that everything else about the Acer Chromebook was positive; speed, streaming capability, etc., etc.

Obviously, with the Chromebook, in addition to an upgrade-ready STB device, I'd also be buying a portable laptop. Given all the above, I'd really like this to be doable, and was wondering if anyone had some insight/advice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi adventurer5 can you tell me where you are with this connection. I purchased Acer c710 in USA and trying to connect to TV in Europe. Not having success only image on tv is Desktop picture even though a movie is playing on the Chromebook.??

·
Registered
49 Posts
I used a hdmi cord and then bought a Chromecast [walmart / best buy] for wireless operation.
I have one of the early Acers C710-2847 MFG Date: 2013/01/20
and I understand I can not use Chromecast with this model. I also do not have any TV sets. I did get excited about Sling TV announced at CES, "unbundled internet TV" that includes ESPN.

I wish Google was also offering on-line internet TV, so we could subscribe to TV stations of our choice, 1, 2, 3 or more TV stations via the internet.

I disconnected my Cable TV 5 years ago, because there was only junk programming and not much else but local stations at the bottom tier, and I refused to keep paying for the, the, the, the, bundled cable scam.

I currently use a VGA cord to connect my 24 inch desktop monitor, enjoying on-line movies, Youtube videos, Video Chats, and power point presentations.

Only change I would like in this arrangement is to toggle the chromebook screen off while watching the larger monitor.

JR

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the Chromebook 11 HP. Bought a miniusb to hdml connection as recommended by Best Buy. No viable connection is made. Are there ctrl keys that are needed to switch the display. Contacted Google but they told me that a straight through mini usb to hdmi cable would work. No way

·
Registered
1 Posts
Only change I would like in this arrangement is to toggle the chromebook screen off while watching the larger monitor.

JR
I have c710 with HDMI cable, when I turn brightness all the way down (F-6) it goes into docked mode. Cursor stays on TV screen, does not go off left side back to chromebook

·
Registered
6 Posts
Acer chromebook

I'd like to use the Chromebook as a STB, hard wired by HDMI to the HDTV, and an ethernet cable to a Comcast "phone modem." Also, a separate, wireless keyboard would be needed.

Apparently, the Samsung 5 550 has a "display port," but it's a mini VGA, not HDMI (I didn't think it possible that a new device would be designed without an HDMI-out port these days). I'm told that this VGA port does carry audio, and there is an adapter available for "VGA to HDMI" for the Samsung "display port," but I don't like the idea.
Hello everyone
Further, the specs on the Samsung does mention ethernet, but I'm not clear on this point; whether it has an ethernet outlet and can be hard wired to a modem.

The Acer Chromebook, on the other hand, does come with an HDMI-out port and Bluetooth support, but zero mention of an ethernet outlet. I'd be confident that there would be no audio/video problems with the HDMI port available, and the Bluetooth would be helpful with a the keyboard requirement, but with no ethernet connection, would it have to be on wifi: which maybe okay, provided that everything else about the Acer Chromebook was positive; speed, streaming capability, etc., etc.

Obviously, with the Chromebook, in addition to an upgrade-ready STB device, I'd also be buying a portable laptop. Given all the above, I'd really like this to be doable, and was wondering if anyone had some insight/advice.
Best regards
angellily

1 - 15 of 15 Posts