Google Chromebook Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to get this all straight in my head. Tell me if I am getting this or not. The Google Chromebook does not have traditional software. Instead it uses Apps, which are small chunks of software. Does that sound anywhere close?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, you are correct. The apps I have installed seem even less "app like" than apps found for Android, as a comparison. To me, they really are more like applets that completely rely on the browser to run.

·
Registered
86 Posts
This will all be clear when web apps start using HTML5's offline capability. Some web sites will be presented as web apps and you'll get the feel like you do when you use regular local applications.

·
Registered
58 Posts
So what's the difference between Apple's apps for iPhone & iPad and these apps... just that these are specific to Chrome OS? Are we basically just swapping one OS for another but trying to have the same functionality?

Is this a PC vs. Mac rewrite to traditional PC/Mac local station vs. Chrome OS cloud computing?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Chrome OS is all cloud related. There is no offline mode at the moment and the apps available are limited but growing quickly. Judging the chromebook right now against itself in 6 months will be two entirely different things.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts