Google Chromebook Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Google Chromebook coming June 15

The Google Chromebook has officially been announced!

The first Chromebook is from Samsung. It will have a 12.1 inch display with 8 hour battery. The Samsung Chromebook will be priced at $429 for Wifi only, and with 3G it will cost $499.

The second Chromebook is from Acer. It features an 11.6 inch display. Full HD. 6.5 hour battery. Wifi and 3G and will be available in two colors. The Acer Chromebook will be priced from $349 and up. (assuming the 3G will cost more)

The first Google Chromebooks will be available June 15 on Amazon and Best Buy, will be available online.

The devices will be available in the United States, Netherlands, UK, Germany, France, Italy, Spain.

Google Chromebooks for Business

End-to-end offering. For the first time it is software and hardware as a service package. Companies get devices, central web console, full support, warranty and replacements. When hardware life cycle is over upgrade to new one. All $28 per user monthly subscription.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just a month more till we get the Chromebook! Can't wait. I have to do more research to finalize my decision on which Chromebook i want to get. Samsung & Acer both have good Chromebooks but im stuck on which to choose.

here's some quick specs and info on them.....

The Samsung "Chromebook" will offer eight-and-a-half hours of continuous usage and feature an Intel Atom dual-core processor, two USB ports, a 4-in-1 memory card slot and a full-size keyboard and trackpad.

Acer's machine will have an 11.6-inch, LED-backlit LCD display and battery life of six hours in continuous usage, as well as an Intel Atom dual-core processor, a high-definition webcam, two USB ports, a 4-1 in memory card slot, an HDMI port and a full-size keyboard and trackpad.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think both features would a nice to have, but I don't actually expect it to impact my daily use of the Chromebook all that much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Lady Gaga new front person for Google Chromebook?

OK so I read somewhere today that Lady Gaga is working on a deal to partner with Google on a deal to market the new Chromebook. I think that is very cool as I am a huge fan of Gaga. She is a very smart person and in my personal opinion can bring a lot to the table besides all her twitter followers. If you stop and think though just having 10 million twitter followers is a huge advantage alone. Good for you Google. I like the partnership. :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Not that I have anything against Lady Gaga, but I am not of her many fans. She however commands a huge following and I even heard the commercial is already out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The Acer display may be slightly smaller, but I prefer Acer computers over Samsung. Actually, I really only know Samsung for TV's, and they're decent, so they are probably ok in the computer biz.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Chromebooks seem very innovative and cool. I like the idea of having your things in the "cloud". I have a cr-48, and am very excited about what it would be like to have a full version,if only I could afford one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm not real savvy on the difference between the WiFi and 3G. How does that impact most users? I have high speed internet at home, and at the local cafe. Does that change anything?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would be seriously looking into the Acer model if they were going to be released in Canada on launch day. Might be worth a trip down to the States! Anyone know if a U.S. bought chromebook will work in the Great White North?

·
Registered
293 Posts
No reason why they shouldn't work in Canada, I wouldn't expect Google to block any core Chromebook functionality based on orinigating IP addresses so it should work just dandy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i wonder how well it will work with large scale hot spots in addition to local wifi
also, i thought the price point was supposed to be lower....looks like i am going to have to look into the specs more....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Only a week more to go! I remember when Nokia Booklet 3G was launched I wanted it so bad to be one of the first owners but I kept my cool. This time, I will do the same. I'm going to wait until the first batch has been tested by the public.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm probably going to get mine through Amazon. I presume that the Kindle store and the ability to read Kindle books will come down from the cloud at some point.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm not real savvy on the difference between the WiFi and 3G. How does that impact most users? I have high speed internet at home, and at the local cafe. Does that change anything?
Oh dear :p

In a nutshell, 3G is a cellular connection that allows access to the internet from wherever you are granted you have proper reception (just like a mobile phone), while Wi-Fi is just another means of connecting to an already existing broadband/high-speed internet connection, such as in your home or at a cafe. The main advantage of 3G is portability (Wi-Fi does not follow you). The main advantage of Wi-Fi is speed (3G only clocks in at about 1mbps - Wi-Fi ranges from 5mbps to 50+mbps).

"Mbps", btw, refers to Megabits Per Second. 3G connectivity is "ok" for surfing the web (such as reading Engadget or posting on ChromebookForum.com) but undesirable for streaming/downloading media (such as Netflix or Hulu).

Now that I think about it, I'm a little surprised that Google didn't push for 4G. This would be just the deal for T-Mobile to get back on their feet! :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts