Google Chromebook Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In anticipation of Chrome OS and the coming Chromebooks, I've been trying to get more acquainted with "the cloud." The issue I've been having is that I'm trying to upload an Excel file (for Mac) to Google docs, but I keep getting "We're sorry, but a server error occurred." It's getting frustrating, and this is supposed to be my test run with the cloud, but the cloud's not playing nicely.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
In anticipation of Chrome OS and the coming Chromebooks, I've been trying to get more acquainted with "the cloud." The issue I've been having is that I'm trying to upload an Excel file (for Mac) to Google docs, but I keep getting "We're sorry, but a server error occurred." It's getting frustrating, and this is supposed to be my test run with the cloud, but the cloud's not playing nicely.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
What is the size of the file?

·
Registered
80 Posts
6sigma, I have reason to believe that you worked with the CR-48 as you seem to understand pretty all about the Chromebooks. Would the size of the file be a hindrance of some sort?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's only 225kb so it should be fine.

I do have the conversion set to "on." It uploads to 100% then gives me "server error." I've tried closing the tab, reopening, etc. No luck.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Typically when you get a server error it is because conversion is failing, what happens when you disable converting the document and try uploading it?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Typically when you get a server error it is because conversion is failing, what happens when you disable converting the document and try uploading it?
Grrr... I tried disabling the conversion. It uploaded my Excel doc as a Word doc and of course would not open.

Then, I retried uploading with conversion on and it says now, "This file could not be imported because the contents of the file do not match the file extension."

Not that huge of a deal, but again, the cloud isn't impressing me at this point.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
You might have a corrupted xls file. You could try exporting your work from the spreadsheet as a doc/docx then importing the doc/docx file into Google docs as a Google spreadsheet, then make any necessary corrections.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You might have a corrupted xls file. You could try exporting your work from the spreadsheet as a doc/docx then importing the doc/docx file into Google docs as a Google spreadsheet, then make any necessary corrections.
Ah ha! I think that may have been it. Long story short: file was originally an xls file for PC. Then, I switched from PC to Mac, and it became a Numbers file (which... Excel really is sooo much better). I became frustrated with Numbers and changed it back to an xls file, but this time xls for Mac. Now, I've switched it back to a Numbers file... and THAT version I was able to upload!

However... ... why are there so many howevers? ... ... Now that it's in Google docs (and conversion was on) it will only allow me to "download" the file, not run and edit it as a Google spreadsheet. Perhaps it's been through too many format changes back and forth and all around?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hmm, I didn't seem to have a problem uploading an excel file to Google Docs and also with editing. But there was one file that was converted from xls to Calc (from Open Office) and I couldn't upload it. I don't have MS Office. Anyway, technology sometimes drives me nuts.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Perhaps there has been a degree of corruption from all the changes. Either that or you still don't have have it saved as the proper format.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Google Docs issues

Magnum,

Using Google Docs can be a frustration.

More than once, I've had an upload do exactly the same thing with no apparent reason why it would not go. Even after spending a frustratingly long time trying to find an answer....nothing. And yes, it was under 1Mb size and it was PowerPoint file, not Excel.

However, one thing that did work for me, and IO don't know why, was I sent myself a problematic file to my Gmail address (not sure if it matters whether you use a Gmail account. It didn't for me), the viewed the file and saved it. It did work that way, but I'm at a loss to know why...

Just a thought.

Cheers, Rick

·
Registered
53 Posts
However... ... why are there so many howevers? ... ... Now that it's in Google docs (and conversion was on) it will only allow me to "download" the file, not run and edit it as a Google spreadsheet. Perhaps it's been through too many format changes back and forth and all around?
I'm a mac user and find that I'll run into trouble every so often sending a file to a Windows machine because of some quirk in the file name. Mac's are very liberal with file names and extensions. A stray space or a comma can confuse the **** out of another OS. Often, I find all that's wrong is the file name. Silly but true.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So theoretically, it's compatible with most formats, but in reality it's kind of picky? I should probably start now getting the hang of using it and figuring out what I can and can't use with it.

·
Banned
109 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.