Google Chromebook Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long have you been online?

I am pretty young, 21, but I've been using some form of the internet since I was about 8. I would use Web TV when it first came out. I can't believe I've been using the internet so long!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I remember the Internet becoming popular and getting an email address through work. No-one else really had them so we just sent messages to each other for a long time! I've probably been using the net for 15 years!

·
Banned
109 Posts
Not long enough! Now I have too much "catching up" to do and I'm pretty sure that's never going to happen. I can't even keep up, let alone catch up. But I gotta say, when comparing what I know today to what I knew a little over a year ago (Facebook? Spam? Blog? SEO? Ads? Banners? Shopping Cart? Networking? Links? etc), well there is no comparison. Thanks to you Google for the wealth of knowledge you provide, all unlimited and and all free for the taking!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have been on line for right around 20 years now. I love the internet and to me the Google Chromebook is a much needed change in the way that we do things.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Haha, it does beat T.V. If you have Netflix you do not even need television anymore. That and Youtube. And then there is news websites. So year, T.V. is so old school.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Fred, you forgot to include how long you have been online! I agree with you, but remember right now Chromebooks and Netflix are not really compatible. So you might have to get yourself a T.V., if you don't have one.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'd say pretty close to 20 years, also. The internet has really come a long way since then! I didn't really have too many people to communicate with back then, but now I am able to find lots of long, lost friends. It's wonderful!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd say pretty close to 20 years, also. The internet has really come a long way since then! I didn't really have too many people to communicate with back then, but now I am able to find lots of long, lost friends. It's wonderful!
You are so right. The internet has evolved in so many ways over time it's amazing. I have met so many people online and I've even been able to find people that I knew in school as a kid.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've been on the internet for the past 10 years and the changes it went through as well as the changes computers went through from then till now is BIG. I remember the days when playing a video on your computer was impossible lol.

Now we can do almost everything and anything on the internet and things such as the Chrome Book will make it easier to do specific things.

The real question is.....

What will the internet be like in 5, 10, 15, or even 20 years from now?

·
Registered
14 Posts
20 years at least. Maybe longer. Had a modem on my Apple IIe but preferred going to the library to use those internet terminals. Did they call it the internet back then?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Been online for a while ever since windows 95! and when windows 98 become the next big thing! also when each house had dual phone lines... one for the internet one for talking! lol

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really can't imagine what the internet is going to be like 1 year from now, let alone 15 or 20! There have been so many positive and negative changes over the past years I just can't imagine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had a modem on my Apple IIe but preferred going to the library to use those internet terminals. Did they call it the internet back then?
I believe it was with a capital I and reflected the new domain based routing instead of uucp routing addressing. I remember the tables explaining how to address email thru various network gateways to get throughout the system.

·
Registered
50 Posts
For at least 10 years. We had a computer, but I really wasn't into it that much. When people used to talk about "surfing the web", I didn't even really know what to look for.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've been online since the mid-1990s, I think. We didn't have a computer at home that could connect online until the late 90s, and school computers were, I think, offline as well. The first time I went online I think I was either at a friend's house or at the library!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've been on since 1992 via early Netscape at the academic library where I used to work. Dialup access at home from c.1996 until 2000 via Earthlink then Verizon. DSL via Verizon from c.2005. Oh my, it has been awhile...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts