Google Chromebook Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All:

As of 9-2-20, I received Chrome OS update version 85.0.4183.84 which has re-enabed hyper-threading on my x86 Chromebook.
Was this intentional by Google Software Developers?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It appears that Google finally has a high degree of confidence that the inherent security provided by site isolation will prevent side channel attacks.
Therefore they decided to re-enable hyper-threading on x86 based Chromebooks. I love it when a plan comes together!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hyper-threading is disabled again!

As of 10-14-2020, Google has disabled hyper-threading on x86 Chromebooks with Chrome OS version 86.0.4240.77. That's par for the course for software developers since they always manage to screw up a good thing and can't leave well enough alone. When will they ever make up their minds about hyper-threading?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As of March 2021, Google has officially enabled hyper-threading on x86 based Chromebooks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On an unrelated note, today I installed the Chrome OS version 91.0.4472.81 and noticed that my wireless N WiFi signal strength (as measured by the Wifi Analyzer app) has increased by at least +15 dBm. By the way, there have been no recent updates to the Wifi Analyzer app.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts