Google Chromebook Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering whether Google would soon diversify the Chromebook product line and perhaps move to other manufacturers like Toshiba.

Is there such a possibility?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Look at the array of manufacturers who are producing Android tablets now. It is highly likely the same will happen with Chromebooks, granted manufacturers are willing to abide by Google's strict approval process.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I believe that the situation with Android is more like Chromium OS, not Chrome OS, i.e., anyone can use it without asking Google, though they can't use Google's trademarks without approval.

Also, many manufacturers will probably be content to continue to sell Windows netbooks and laptops and not try Chrome OS, at least for a while, since there's obviously a market for Windows. With Android, there weren't any decent alternatives for tablet manufacturers since they can't use iOS.

For these reasons, I think that the number of manufacturers using Chrome OS will be smaller than the number of manufacturers using Android. I certainly expect it to grow to more than the present two, of course.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It will be imperative for manufacturer's to closely look at the market and see whether venturing into the Chrome line of OSes will be worth the effort.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Also, many manufacturers will probably be content to continue to sell Windows netbooks and laptops and not try Chrome OS, at least for a while, since there's obviously a market for Windows. With Android, there weren't any decent alternatives for tablet manufacturers since they can't use iOS.
I agree with this, though I wish companies would take more of a chance on new OSes (or any other OS than Windows). Samsung is okay but I don't trust Acer and right now I'd much prefer some other brand of Chromebook if I could get one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think companies are still wary of trying out new OSes with the risk of the concept not catching up with the masses. I'd rather the risk was taken and people ended up on the right side of history, since I believe Google chrome will b a success.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts