Google Chromebook Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I just got my Samsung Chromebook last week and LOVE it. I've got one question however and hope you guys could help. I've got a PC in the house (Win XP) that I store lots of files on (videos & pictures mainly) that basically acts as a server, so I'll connect to it from other computers in the house, etc to access the files.

Is there any way to do this with the chromebook?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

·
Administrator
283 Posts
Your best option would be to set up some sort of media server which plays files over a web interface (remember, Chromebooks are for accessing the web - native file support is not their meat and potatoes). Other than that, there really is no way to access other computers' media through the Chromebook. (Assuming you mean you want to allow the Chromebook to access shared files on one computer, as you would in a Windows/Mac/Linux network...)
http://www.thechromebookforum.com/f...cessing-local-area-network-windows-linux.html

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, I know whar you are meaning to do, as I have my wifes' laptop set up to access a couple of folders on my main system, but that particular configuration is not with in the chromebooks capabilities. Having said that, you might consider getting a usb external hdd. Chromebook will be able to access that. Also, check to see if your version of Chromebook qualifies for the 100gb free cloud storage from google. It will allow you to upload for two years, then after that you can either pay for more time, or just use what you have. You will always be allowed to use whatever you upload, you just won't be able to upload anymore to it. I have an external that I use all the time, plus I am uploading as much as I can.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts