Google Chromebook Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a laptop guy, and I have no need for a portable computer. My hobby is technical writing and illustration, and for the past five years I've used a 22 inch desktop Win10 computer. But I would rather poke a sharp stick in my eye than deal with Microsoft, so I'm going to see how far I can get using a Chromebook. About 95% of my work is online stuff anyway, email, searching, shopping, and a few low intensity games. But I won't be able to use my favorite CAD, word processor, and graphics software. New apps seem to be forthcoming and I'll just have to hope something resembling AutoCAD, Word, and PaintShopPro are developed for Chrome some day.

Right now the deal breaker is screen size. I can't find a Chromebook larger than 15.6 inches, and they all fold up in various ways so the keyboard is permanently tied to the screen. I can see a 22 inch screen fine with my 89 year old eyes, without glasses, but I won't try to work squinting at a small screen in my lap. Does the "book" in Chromebook doom all models to pads and laptops? Does anyone know of a Chromebook that looks like a desktop? Do the new HDMI connectors allow you to use a large monitor?

Tommy

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have an older Lenovo C630 powered by a i5-8250U up to 3.4 GHz and 15.6" display, which is also a 1920 x 1080 display. It folds back on itself to act as a screen only. You can then use an external keyboard. You could also use your 22" display with it.

There is an option in the settings to enable Linux, and from there you should be able to get all the software you need.

Does the "book" in Chromebook doom all models to pads and laptops?
ChromeOS workstation is called a Chromebox, instead of a Chromebook. There are plenty of Chromebox on the market to choose from - the ones I have seen look like a Mac mini.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Large Screen Chrome

Light,

Many thanks for your comments about a large screen Chromebook. In all of my searching for a "large screen desktop Chromebook", Chromebox was never mentioned once, and I must have been living under a rock because I had never heard of it either. I'm excited over the possibilities it offers, and can't thank you enough.

Tommy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts