Google Chromebook Forums banner

Something I just found out.

9K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  fred 
#1 ·
Chromebooks don't have ethernet ports. I always move around with my computer so this isn't really important to me, but it might be for some people.

#8 ·
Yeah, ethernet ports are nice if you don't have a wifi connection, but I've never been anywhere yet that doesn't have that option available. Maybe some older hotels might only have cabled internet hookup-- I'm kind of thinking that what Disney has?

#10 ·
ethernet ports are useless on laptops, seriously!

People who use ethernet ports are those with desktop computers. Laptops are portable, so is WiFi. I think it's good they didn't add ethernet. But like what Larosabob said, get the USB ethernet adapter

BestBuy has a StarTech USB 2.0 to 10/100Mbps Ethernet Adapter going for $26. Really cheap solution if you ask me. StarTech USB 2.0 to 10/100Mbps Ethernet Adapter : USB Cables - Best Buy Canada

#11 ·
For testing, setup, stability, speed, and security purposes, I rather have a Ethernet port on my laptop. Without one, your laptop is useless when the Wireless connection goes down due to power, software corruption, or hardware failure. With a Ethernet port, you can at least troubleshoot or even repair the problem. With regular laptops and PCs, it is faster to copy/paste large files across the network on the LAN than through Wireless.

#15 ·
Whoah! Okay, this normally isn't a problem, but I am currently hooked up because my router dropped last night and customer service is closed on the weekends. Yes, you have the 3g backup but I may want to watch a movie today and 3g wouldn't provide the bandwidth. Thanks for the keen eye.

#16 ·
OK I am officially going to buy an adapter from Best Buy! My parents are going to take me to Aruba later this year. Guess what? The hotel only has wireless in the lobby! Guess how you connect in the rooms? Oh the horror! Thank goodness you pointed that out or I would be doomed!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.